Right now there is a buzz about Waltham Forest. Bursting with culture, energy and opportunity, Waltham Forest is a place people want to live, raise a family and start a business. We are fundamentally changing the way we work, building relationships, connecting people, harnessing our unique opportunities and the power of new technology to create strong, sustainable and self-reliant communities.
We are looking to recruit an independent person to be a member of our Audit and Governance Committee.
This role offers the opportunity to promote good governance, financial oversight, risk management, and internal control in the delivery of the Council’s services and functions.
The successful applicant should have:
- An interest in local government and public service;
- Significant financial, risk management and audit experience;
- Local connections and either lives or work in the borough or have other recognisable ties to the area;
- An ability to understand complex issues and the importance of accountability and probity in public life;
- An understanding of the need for independence of audit from daily management responsibilities;
- An ability to demonstrate integrity and discretion;
- Effective interpersonal skills.
You must not:
- Have been a member, co-opted member, or employee of the Council within the last five years;
- Be a relative or close friend of a member or employee of the Council;
- Have been convicted of any offense;
- Be an undischarged bankrupt;
- Have significant business dealings with the Council;
- Have a formal connection with any political group;
- Be the holder of significant office in an organisation being grant-aided/supported by the Council.
Key information: 4-5 evening meetings per year (7:30pm) plus training and development workshops.
Remuneration: an annual allowance of £742.00