Job Purpose and Background
Reporting in to the Head of Financial Planning & Investments, the post holder will support the delivery and design of the Group’s Long Term Financial Plan and associated regulatory returns. The post holder will also be involved in reviewing investment appraisals, credit rating modelling, peer review, design and maintenance of bespoke Excel models and other ad hoc financial analysis and appraisal. With the Head of Financial Planning & Investment, the post holder will lead the organisation in maintaining robust financial risk appraisal and analysis for new development schemes.
Principle Outputs & Responsibilities
- Support the Head of Financial Planning & Investment in the production and maintenance of the annual Long Term Financial Plan and quarterly updates.
- Produce stress tests and scenario analysis of the Long Term Financial Plan to assess the financial viability of the Group.
- Creation and maintenance of benchmarking data across sector and non-sector organisations.
- Working with the Development team to review investment appraisals, using either ProVal, Argus or bespoke models and contributing to the reports submitted to Executive for approval of all schemes.
- The creation and maintenance of in-house Excel appraisal models for complex schemes and projects including detailed cashflow, accounting and key performance indicators (KPI) to support commercial decision making, capacity maximisation and negotiation with stakeholders.
- Working with external joint venture (JV) partners on the financial analysis of projects and review and input in to externally created appraisal models.
- Monitor and report on financial performance through financial models and advise on corrective action or escalation as required.
- Understand and explain model results and wider commercial implications, verbally and in written reports.
- Provide financial analysis support for securing funding, either from banks, investors or government backed sources.
- Provide financial analysis support for corporate structuring decisions including the use of Special Purpose Vehicles and JVs.
- Support to the wider business on financial appraisal and analysis.
- Develop technical modelling skills to increase productivity and reliability
- Support the development of modelling skills within the wider team.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Degree level education
- Advanced level user of Microsoft Excel
- Excellent level of IT skills and literacy
- Knowledge of investment appraisal techniques
- Attention to detail
- Strong commitment to delivering excellent customer service
- Experience of modelling the financial impacts of stress scenarios on financial statements
- Able to work independently and use own initiative
- Effective written and verbal communication
- Effective goal setting capabilities
- Ability to work and collaborate across teams
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Experience of project appraisal and analysis
- Knowledge of the Housing Sector
- Knowledge of development schemes and funding
- Proficient in the following software packages: Housing Brixx, SDS-Sequel, ProVal
- Ability to create Excel macros and knowledge of VBA
- Experience of building housing association financial plans and carrying out stress testing
- Knowledge of Accounting Standards for Housing Associations
- Strong stakeholder management experience
- Leadership and motivational skills
- Experience of designing and producing KPIs for strategic decision making
- Reasonable treasury/capital funding knowledge
Professional Qualifications and Membership
- Part or fully qualified accountant (CCAB/CIMA)/Finance Analyst (CFA)
Decision Making Accountability
- Head of Financial Planning & Investment
- Director of Corporate Finance
- Chief Financial Officer
- Project Managers
- Senior management
- Development colleagues
Key decisions the post holder would be responsible for:
- Investment and related modelling assumptions
- Recommendation (from Finance) to proceed/not proceed with projects
- Ensure that responsibilities for Health & Safety are properly understood and discharged as defined in One Housing’s Health & Safety Policy and that Health & Safety concerns are promptly and clearly communicated to the appropriate people.
- Comply fully with One Housing’s policies and procures including the standing orders and financial regulations.
- Comply with the Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy
- Comply with the Data Protection Act (all employees will not disclose or make use of for their private advantage any information held on record which is not available to the public)
- Carry out any other reasonable duties as required