The council has adopted a Waste Management Strategy Extension to 2025 detailing a range of projects aimed at delivering a step-increase in the household recycling rate performance achieved in Southwark, along with reductions in the amount of household waste that is generated. The Project Manager will work with the Head of Waste and Cleaning to deliver the projects that are designed to achieve these aims.
The Project Manager will also work with the Head of Waste and Cleaning to facilitate a re-structure of the in-house Cleaning Service, which is required to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the service and make it fit for the future, and to undertake activities designed to address matters of equality, diversity and inclusion within the Cleaning Service, creating training and development opportunities for front line staff.
We are the largest local authority social landlord in London, managing 55,000 homes lived in by 40% of Southwark’s residents. We are home to over 18,300 businesses including iconic London venues and social enterprises and we have a young, diverse, and growing population.
At Southwark we are committed to making our borough just and fair and are taking positive action to tackle inequalities. Our residents and communities are our greatest asset and the passion we have for Southwark is shared by millions of Londoners who enjoy our outstanding cultural offer, use our hospitals and attend our universities. Our refreshed borough plan and focus on Southwark Stands Together, (which is our work with Southwark’s communities and the council’s staff to tackle racism, injustice and inequality) underpins all that we do.
The post holder will ensure that projects are delivered within the relevant scope, constraints and budget, supporting the head of the service with project reporting and the production of all project-related artefacts.
They will manage all aspects of project delivery from the initial stage, through to handing over to the business teams, through the effective management of assigned resources, approved suppliers and allocated budgets and set standards in how programmes and projects are managed across the service.
Duties Includes (but not limited to):
- Preparing and presenting reports including recommendations, for the Head of Service on outcomes of research and monitoring as well as proposals linked to delivery of all projects in their remit.
- Managing projects to agreed vision, objectives, and success criteria and report progress against them. To manage project budget including ensuring that resources are allocated in the most effective way.
- Collaborating with internal and external suppliers to ensure that the business achieves best value from its programme of work.
- Working within a governance framework, providing appropriate controls and reporting on project progress, benefits and achievements in a timely and efficient manner.
- Producing executive level and team status updates that highlight risks, assumptions, issues and dependencies, clearly and concisely.
- Drafting, submitting and managing project budgets as required to deliver projects.
Please be advised that this post is a 2 years fixed-term contract.
Benefits and more information:
Application Closing Date: 11.59pm on 14 February 2024.
Interview and Assessment: 28 February 2024.
We are an organisation who is passionate about our people and understands that richness of diversity is a requirement to provide the best possible services to our communities. This is demonstrated through our council-wide ambitious commitment to tackle racial inequality in our communities and workforce through our Southwark Stands Together initiative. We particularly welcome applications from members of the black, Asian and ethnic minority communities to increase representation at senior management level in the Council.
Guaranteed Interview Scheme
As part of our commitment to inclusion, we offer guaranteed interviews for specific groups of people. To qualify, you'll need to meet the minimum requirements for the role, and identify with one of the below criteria:
- Members of the Armed Forces and veterans.
- Are currently in care, or have previously been in care.
- If you consider yourself to be disabled or if you have a long-term health condition.