Food, Safety and Licensing Manager
London Borough of Ealing
Grade 16 £60,402 - £63,684 (2022-2023 pay award), permanent corporate salary role evaluation and market supplement award evaluation pending
Would you like to play a crucial role in regulating one of the most diverse commercial environments in the UK?
The London Borough of Ealing is home to one of the most diverse populations of commercial businesses including over 3,000 food businesses, 20,000 workplaces and 1,500 licensed premises. The range of businesses is unique with large and growing light and heavy industries, an expanding import/export sector and a range of retail sectors.
In recognition of the significant challenges presented to the Council in regulating these sectors this role has been created to oversee and take responsibility for the successful delivery of services and our statutory functions concerned with food, workplace and public safety, health protection and commercial licensing.
You will be supported by experienced team leaders and officers as well as peers in the Environmental Health & Trading Standards service management team and the Head of Service.
The Food, Safety and Licensing Manager will:
- Ensure that the operation of these teams meets the Council’s relevant statutory obligations including those under the Food Safety Act 1990, Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and the Licensing Act 2003 and attendant legislation
- Ensure service plans are developed and implemented
- Develop and support officers in food, safety and licensing teams
This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to take overall responsibility for the variety of functions and to work with their teams to design, establish and implement innovative approaches to regulating our businesses.
The Food, Safety and Licensing Manager is also responsible for the systems leadership, management, supervision, direction & development of officers and will be committed to the support, training and professional development of all staff.
The ideal candidate will be a fully qualified Environmental Health Officer with significant experience of most, if not all, the service’s functions and experience of managing teams, but candidates with other fully equivalent appropriate qualifications and the relevant professional experience will be considered.
Essential knowledge, skills and experience necessary for this role include:
- Experience of managing teams of multi-disciplinary officers
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of all applicable legislation
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including businesses, residents, officers across the Council and with our councillors
Desirable experience includes:
- Experience of all stages of applicable enforcement action
- Experience of collaborative working with formal and informal partners
If you are committed to making a positive difference to the lives of workers, residents and visitors in our borough we’d be pleased to hear from you.
For an informal discussion about this opportunity please contact Joe Blanchard, Head of Environmental Health & Trading Standards by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advice for applicants:
- Our HR processes demand you produce copies of any qualifications or certificates which you detail in your application so please ensure you have these certificates in your possession
- The background information about these services can be found at https://ealing.moderngov.co.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=203&MId=289&Ver=4
Closing date 30 November 2023