Are you passionate about people, politics and policymaking?
We are recruiting for two Cabinet Officer roles which will be at the heart of Brent Council in the Leader’s Office, helping the Cabinet with executive support, policymaking, and communications.
- Provide a full range of executive support services to at least three Cabinet Members, assisting in the preparation of agendas, reports and action taking as required.
- Provide diary management, forward planning, and research to ensure Cabinet Members are fully briefed on key issues in their portfolios.
- To manage casework responses on behalf of Cabinet Members relating to their portfolio areas, ensuring enquiries are dealt with effectively, respectfully and tactfully.
- Build strong internal networks to facilitate the effective relationships between Cabinet and the Corporate Management Team (CMT).
- Support Cabinet Members to communicate their priorities to external stakeholders.
You will have unparalleled exposure to the senior politicians and sector leading council officers, with the ability to be a part of key decisions at every turn.
Alongside your primary responsibilities, there is significant scope for development within the role, with potential to build a portfolio of policy expertise and support the wider work of the Executive and Member services area.
The ideal candidates will be an outstanding communicator, with excellent organisation and interpersonal skills and the confidence to manage the competing demands of a number of politicians.
Experience is valuable and desirable, but we know that not everyone will have previously worked in a political environment. We welcome applications from anyone with a professional approach, an interest in public policy; and the ability to communicate effectively in verbal and written form, we want to hear from you.
You must be highly organised if you are to support Cabinet Members, as well as having an eye to the details that can make or break a political career. By its very nature you will need to be able to navigate through and negotiate through situations which are complex and sensitive.
We’ll need you to be able to manage your own workload and be a key part of the wider team, as well as the ability to be pro-active in your research and how you build up your practical knowledge of Brent.
The candidates we are looking for will also need to demonstrate that they understand what local government in London does and how this sits within a political, financial, and legislative context.
If you are interested in applying for this job, please start by clicking the "Apply Now" button below. You must provide a supporting statement as part of your application that clearly shows how you meet the criteria on the Person Specification. We will accept a CV in support of your application, however, you should still provide a supporting statement.
Brent Council values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this and therefore encourage applications from all sections of the community. We positively encourage all applicants to self-identify their characteristics in the diversity survey section in the application.