Redbridge is an ambitious, diverse, and exciting east-London borough. What we do is driven by changing our relationship with local people to support our vision. As a result, we have developed innovative ways to build our communities and transform our Council.
We are a diverse borough, and our communities are attracted by a mixture of excellent schools, affordable housing, high-quality open space and rapid transport connections into the heart of the city.
A vacancy has arisen for a Principal Accountant to work in Schools Finance to support to the Operational Directors in their statutory role.
You will work with the Head of Business Partnering, Group Accountant and a small team to deliver a range of outstanding, service focused accounting support for maintained schools in Redbridge.
Preferably a CCAB qualified accountant, you will need to have a sound understanding of local government finance and strong technical skills. You should also be a confident communicator who is able to foster great working relationships with those you work with, and you’ll relish having responsibility for a wide remit and delivering a range of support functions. A flexible approach and the ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities is essential, as is the ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Keep abreast of developments in local and national finance policy and advise schools of changes and any impact
- Ensure the Dedicated Schools Grant budgets are allocated and monitored in line the grant conditions
- Advise Headteachers, Schools Governors and Schools Finance staff on all financial matters including proposals to enhance day to day service delivery and financial performance
- Develop and enhance schools finance monitoring processes, financial management and control
- Prepare and present reports and other information which analyses and evaluates the financial implications of complex service issues
- Be responsible for monthly budget monitoring and forecasting outturn
- Ensure all grants returns and other returns are completed and submitted on time including S.251 budget and outturn submissions
- Develop, train and manage staff at schools and within the organisation
- Identify and calculate the impact of major financial pressures within school
- Ensure payments to schools are made according to legislation
- Manage the schools communication process and ensure school communication is prompt and correct.
- Ensure the proper closure of school accounts at year end
- Liaise as necessary with internal and external audit and respond to any questions
- Support the school budget setting process and provide necessary support to the Group Accountant in preparing the budget.
- Deputise for and support the Group Accountant as necessary
Finally, you must have good IT skills with excellent knowledge of office applications.
In return you will enjoy an excellent benefits package including a minimum of 27 days’ annual leave and access to the Local Government Pension Scheme.
This is a full time, fixed term post for 18 months.
To apply for this post, you must submit an online application form along with uploading a copy of your CV and cover letter.
Ambitious for Redbridge
All short-listed applicants will need to demonstrate proof of right to work in the UK. At the London Borough of Redbridge, we receive a high volume of great-quality applicants, we therefore may close a vacancy earlier than advertised. Early applications are therefore encouraged.
We are committed to employment practices that promote diversity and inclusion in employment and welcome applications from qualified applicants regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sex, marriage and civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity status, colour, race, religion, or belief.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CV’s submitted without a fully completed online application form.