Are you passionate about London and our ethical standards?
We are looking to appoint two Independent Persons for an initial term of two years from May 2024 to act in a consultative role to help the Greater London Authority maintain its high ethical standards.
In this role you can really make a difference and a valuable contribution to London by becoming one of our Independent Persons. If an allegation of a breach of the Members Code of Conduct is received by the Authority, you will be available to consult on the matter and to input into the determination and investigation of complaints against elected and co-opted Members.
The nature of complaints you may also be required to give advice on may include poor performance or misconduct of any of the following statutory Chief Officers: The Head of Paid Service; the Chief Finance Officer; or Monitoring Officer.
Some of the essential skills and qualities required for this role are the following:
- A keen interest in and understanding of ethics and propriety within public life.
- A good knowledge and understanding of the current ethical regime.
- Understanding or experience of working with or serving on public bodies, and the role of elected representatives.
- High standards of personal integrity.
- Ability to apply standards to practical situations and give advice.
- Ability to question, think logically and evaluate information.
- Ability to be objective, independent and impartial.
If you would like to apply for the role, please see the attached Information Pack and complete the application form and return to Rory McKenna at firstname.lastname@example.org detailing your suitability for the role.
Please note: This role is legally restricted. For full details of what this means please read the Information Pack. The Localism Act 2011 prohibits any person (or a relative or close friend) who within the last five years has been a Member, co-opted Member or officer of the GLA from being appointed as the Independent Person.
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 18 October 2023 at City Hall, Kamal Chunchie Way, London, E16 1ZE.