Qualification: Level 4 Business Analyst
Contract Length: 24 months
The Strategy & Design Team plays a critical role in enabling change and improvement across Camden by working with other teams and services within the Council so that it can make better decisions and deliver better services, learning as we go. The team does this by bringing together different types of evidence, using design methods, and exploring new ideas and ways of doing things.
The overall purpose of the Apprentice Business Analyst is to understand the needs of residents, staff, and other stakeholders and how these can be met through changes and improvements to the Council’s processes, operations, and services.
The new Apprentice Business Analyst will work collaboratively with Design Researchers, Service Designers, Policy Designers, Policy Officers and key project stakeholders to understand how processes currently operate, to help determine the needs and requirements to be met via changes and improvements, and to contribute to the design of new processes and systems.
You will be studying towards a Business Analyst (Level 4) qualification as part of your apprenticeship. You should expect around 20% of your time to be spent on this.
The new Apprentice Business Analyst’s responsibilities will change as they progress through their apprenticeship. The apprentice will take on more of the responsibilities listed in the ‘Business Analyst Specific’ section as they gain experience and knowledge of project management methods and techniques.
- To lead and provide support where appropriate in the scoping and discovery phases of projects to understand policies, processes, and systems to support the planning and progression of work with the relevant context and detail.
- To deliver elements of business analysis under the supervision of more senior team members in the Strategy & Design Team
- To be able to take a simple brief from other team members and act on it, checking in and working collaboratively where necessary or helpful and asking for support as often and whenever needed.
- To provide general support to Project Team members.
- To work with project teams and key stakeholders in capturing requirements and constraints when developing options for changes, improvements, and new solutions
- To use appropriate software and tools as part of assigned tasks.
- Create and maintain documentation as required.
- To learn all aspects of Business Analysis and have full commitment to obtaining the Business Analysis Apprenticeship qualification.
- To gain knowledge and understanding of Camden Council policies and procedures and the practical application of the Camden Ways of Working to best serve citizens and businesses.
Business Analyst specific duties
- Please refer to the outline of the apprentice course (link below) – the detail under knowledge skills and behaviours will form part of your duties and learning: https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/business-analyst-v1-1
Role specific duties
- To be able to communicate, both verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner
- To be able to lead on and assist investigative work, requirements gathering and feasibility studies as well as feeding back options and solutions to key stakeholders
- To contribute to market analysis, options appraisals and the development of business cases and understanding the impact of potential decisions
- To work with key stakeholders during scoping and investigative work, as well advising them of options and solutions
- To lead on research and investigative tasks
- Business process mapping, process modelling, and data modelling using modelling and analytical tools.
- To maintain standards and documentation
Note: All Camden employees are expected to be flexible in undertaking the duties and responsibilities attached to their post and may be asked to perform other duties.
- Ideally hold a grade C or above in at least 4 GCSEs, including English and Mathematics (or equivalent)
- 2 A Levels or Level 3 equivalent qualification
- Excellent communications skills (verbal and written)
- Strong IT and digital skills (e.g., able to use MS Office, Google Drive and remote collaboration tools such as MS Teams).
- Ability to work flexibly and meet deadlines whilst understanding the needs, timescales and deadlines of others.
- Able to form relationships and liaise with different members of the organisation in different roles and levels.
- Ability to work effectively in a team.
- Ability to be able to plan, schedule and monitor own work
- A strong commitment towards successfully completing the Level 4 Business Analysis standard.
- Understanding of basic principles of business analysis
- Experience of problem solving
- Experience of prioritising workload in a work or a social/personal environment
- Experience of research
- Experience of working with others
- Understanding of modelling and ability to process map
- Experience of using collaborative online tools such as Miro, Trello and Jamboard
- Understanding of streamlining business processes
- Awareness of data protection
- Awareness of information security
To apply for this role, you must:
1. Be a Camden resident, former Camden secondary school student or Camden care leaver
2. Have the right to live and work in the UK
3. Have lived in the EU or UK for the last 3 years (except if you are an asylum seeker or refugee)
4. NOT already have an NVQ level 4 (or higher) in Business Analyst or similar subject
Important note - role may close early if we get enough suitable applications, those interested in the role are encouraged to apply ASAP.
Camden care leavers and people with learning difficulties or disabilities will be prioritised for final interviews provided they meet the minimum requirements of the role.
Diversity and Inclusion
We want Camden Council to be a great place to work and to ensure that our communities are represented across our workforce. A vital part of this is ensuring we are a truly inclusive organisation that encourages diversity in all respects, including diversity of thinking. We particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and those of Other Ethnicities, LGBT+, disabled and neurodiverse communities to make a real difference to our residents so that equalities and justice remains at the heart of everything we do.
To discover more about Camden and our commitment towards diversity, equality and safeguarding, please visit our recruitment website
Asking for Adjustments
Camden is committed to making our recruitment practices barrier-free and as accessible as possible for everyone. This includes, making adjustments or changes for disabled people, neuro-diverse people or people with long-term health conditions. If you have would like us to do anything differently during the application, interview or assessment process, including providing information in an alternative format, please let us know on your registration form in the section about reasonable adjustments. Alternatively, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02079748778 to discuss.