Enfield Council are a dynamic local authority driven by a clear vision of how we will transform the borough, address inequality and create a lifetime of opportunities for everyone who lives, works and learns in Enfield.
A vacancy has arisen in the Finance Business Partnering team for a Finance Manager to lead on the financial support provided to the Council and senior management in respect of Education and Schools. The role reports to the Assistant Director of Finance and is the lead business partner supporting these service areas, whilst overseeing a team of circa four staff in support of this activity.
Key deliverables and responsibilities of the role are:
- Analytical ability to understand and present clearly the financial performance, cost drivers, levers for change and implications to senior management and non-financial staff
- A curiosity to get into detail beyond just the financials, explore what operations or activities lead to the financial outputs and hence understand the service in-depth
- The ability to work with staff from both finance and non-finance backgrounds, including school heads and the Schools Forum, take proactive steps, support business decision making and produce the necessary financial modelling and financial implications for key reports to the Schools Forum and elected members
- Strong financial control, process/organisation and staff management abilities
To be suitable for the role you should be able to demonstrate strong business partnering abilities and an in-depth understanding and relevant working experience of the issues and requirements of the Education and Schools function within a local authority and the financial implications that result, with the ability to convert this into real insight that leads to recommendations for action and change.
Enfield offers a hybrid working arrangement. For this role there is an expectation to be in the office periodically for key meetings each month (including Schools Forum and related meetings) and to be able to build strong working relationships with colleagues and key stakeholders. Given the seniority of the role we would expect candidates to be fully qualified accountants, or at final stage with an expectation to be fully qualified within 6 months of joining.
If you think you have what it takes to be successful in this exciting and challenging role, we would love to hear from you!
If you would like to know more about the role, please contact Steve Muldoon, Assistant Director of Finance at firstname.lastname@example.org for an informal discussion.
If you have any difficulties in accessing this information, please contact Claire Turner, Senior Recruitment Advisor at email@example.com
We do not see your name or title when shortlisting your application. This is one of many initiatives to build a more talented and diverse workforce. However, if you put your name on your CV or Statement it will be visible to us. For this reason, we ask that you do not include your name on these documents.
Please note it is your responses to the Essential/Desirable criteria, as detailed in the Job Description and Person Specification which is available on the job advert, that will determine if you are shortlisted for an interview, therefore we encourage you to always address the essential and desirable criteria in your application/CV.
We are passionate about our people and how we deliver services to our community in Enfield. That’s why we encourage a culture that puts our customers at the heart of everything we do - by empowering our people to work together to find solutions, be open, honest and respectful, take responsibility and listen and learn. If you value these behaviours too, we’d love to hear from you - and of course we are always happy to talk flexible working.
Why it's great to work for Enfield Council:
- An excellent pension through the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- Up to 32 days annual leave depending on grade and length of service. You will also get eight public holidays per year and an extra day off at Christmas.
- A blend of remote and office based working for most roles.
- Interest free season ticket loan repayable over three or ten months.
- Career development and learning experiences from a range of training courses and learning methods.
- Employee Assistance Programme to provide advice and counselling services. This is a free and confidential service available to staff and members of their family.
- Health and leisure discounts and tax-free bikes for work.
- 1 month paid sabbatical for Children’s Social Workers
We reserve the right to close this vacancy once a sufficient number of applications have been received. Therefore, we advise that you complete fully and submit your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
If you have previously applied for this role within the past 6 months, unfortunately, a second application will not be considered.