Southwark is a large, ambitious and progressive council with a ‘can do’ attitude and enviable reputation. As a Council, we are successful, passionate and forward-thinking. We are committed to our ‘Fairer Futures for All’ promise which ensures that our residents and businesses are central to everything we do. If you want to make a difference at a local level, apply to Southwark Council today.
Taking on highways infrastructure services and projects, you will design and deliver these projects to an agreed timescale and within budget. Overseeing the work of contractors, you will ensure they meet your high standards and that all elements of the project are meeting appropriate regulations and health and safety standards. You will also take charge of a programme of maintenance programmes throughout the year and conduct surveys and site inspections, applying your knowledge of the latest developments in the field of engineering.
- Relevant qualifications including a HNC or NHD in Engineering, a recognised degree in a relevant discipline and professional membership of an engineering institution.
- Experience of overseeing responsive maintenance plans and of delivering projects that are in line with Construction Design and Management 2015 regulations.
- Experience in the design of engineering works including identification of technical options.
- Knowledge of current street scene and transport infrastructure issues in the UK and London and an understanding of how these will impact on the Council.
- Evidence of continuous professional development and outstanding knowledge of all relevant regulations and standards including NRWSA, HAUC and Health and Safety.
- Good IT skills including an intermediate level of bespoke design and engineering related software.
- The ability to develop and mentor junior members of staff.
- Solid verbal, written and numerical skills.
When you take on a role in the Highways Team, you can expect to work on huge schemes that will define not just London, but the careers of those entrusted with them too. And this role is most definitely career-defining. Southwark Council is embarking on a number of ambitious regeneration projects including Old Kent Road, Aylesbury, Elephant & Castle and Canada Water. And you can be a part of this unique challenge.
The Highway Development Team contribute to the overall Highway Authority’s response to planning enquiries and applications ensuring that suitable arrangements are put in place to mitigate any adverse effects and maximise street scene improvement. The Highway Development Team also ensure that all highway projects are dealt with, from developers and others, and meet the council’s highway design standards by managing their progress through design review process, ensuring a high quality of public realm.
Benefits and More Information:
Interview date: 12 July 2023.
We are an organisation who is passionate about our people and understands that richness of diversity is a requirement to provide the best possible services to our communities. This is demonstrated through our council-wide ambitious commitment to tackle racial inequality in our communities and workforce through our Southwark Stands Together initiative. We particularly welcome applications from members of the black, Asian and ethnic minority communities to increase representation at senior management level in the Council.