Digital System Support Officer
Grade 10 (£36,378 - £38,385)
About Croydon Council
Croydon is London’s second largest borough - a city within the city, full of brilliant and diverse people, businesses and places.
As a council we’re going through tremendous change, from our evolving response to the pandemic, to our plans to radically reshape and renew our organisation as a result of financial challenges. We are essentially building a brand new council around ourselves – one that is focused on getting things right for its residents, while delivering very differently and within a sustainable financial envelope.
About the Croydon Digital Service
Digital capability and service redesign is critical to our renewal plans.
Established in 2019, the Croydon Digital Service (CDS) is one part of the council that has already transformed, replacing a traditional ICT department with a GDS-style service to support the digital transformation of the council’s internal operations and online services for residents. We are a small and creative team that achieves a lot with a little. We continuously iterate our culture and processes to enable all team members to bring their whole selves and do their best work.
We are signatories of the Local Digital Declaration, committing us to delivering user-centred services that meet the Government Service Standard, and to following the Technology Code of Practice. We seek to collaborate, wherever possible, with other local authorities to share learnings, ideas and solutions.
We work in the open, inviting feedback and input from our stakeholders. You can see examples of our work at www.croydon.digital – a site we share with the local tech community.
About the role
We are looking for Digital Systems Officers to support and maintain service critical line of business applications and implement service improvements through effective configuration of the application. Key to this is working closely with services to understand the data needed to support frontline processes and ensuring systems are setup effectively to capture the right information and report on it.
Reporting to a Senior Digital Systems Officer within the Digital Systems Team of the Croydon Digital Service, this role is a key part of how CDS supports Croydon’s critical business applications, helping ensure Council services are getting the most from these systems.
We are interested in motivated systems professionals to join the Digital Systems Team. Broad experience and skills to complement and contribute to the existing squad members is regarded as more important than knowledge in a specific application.
The role involves being a key point of contact between CDS and service users of critical business systems. You are required to understand and troubleshoot applications, how they are configured to support business processes, and how data is used to support effective statutory and operational reporting.
- Implement appropriate security controls for users accessing the applications and its data
- Develop and maintain queries, reports, and dashboards to support the production of statutory, financial, performance or data quality reporting from the applications.
- Participate in and support projects and other requests to upgrade or change the applications and the robust testing of these changes to ensure they are fit for purpose.
- Understand and follow service management best practise for application support and maintenance, adopting consistency of practise across the CDS support community.
- Systems support experience working in ICT industry on at least one critical line of business system
- Experience of supporting service users managing complex data and the security access controls of key line of business systems storing financial and sensitive data (and documents)
- Experience of working with data, identifying data quality issues, and contributing to the creation of data improvement plans in a key line of business system
- Experience of report development using SQL-based reporting tools for packaged solutions
- Some experience of regularly delivering a range of ICT products including systems, programs, processes, procedures, data outputs, test plans, user guides, and user training.
- Experience of working closely with key stakeholders, gaining credibility with that level of the organisation
- A track record in delivering usable and supportable ICT solutions across various ICT platforms and services
- Experience of using a ticketing system for managing support request
Croydon Council is transforming – come and be part of building a new council
Closing date: Sunday 3rd July 2022
Croydon Council is an inclusive employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Subject to business needs, we will be pleased to consider applications from candidates seeking flexible working arrangements and support hybrid working, whereby staff attend the workplace for part of their working week and work from home, or elsewhere, remotely for the rest of the time.
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the advertised role.
Croydon council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
The Successful candidate will be subject to a Standard DBS check.