2-year Fixed Term Contract
Redbridge is an ambitious, diverse and exciting east-London borough. What we do is driven by changing our relationship with local people to support our vision. As a result, we've developed innovative ways to build our communities and transform our Council.
We're one of the fastest growing parts of the country and the third most diverse London borough. Our communities are attracted by a mixture of excellent schools, relatively affordable housing, high-quality open space and rapid transport connections into the heart of the City.
This is an exciting time for the London Borough of Redbridge; we are at the heart of regeneration and change in East London, with unprecedented investment in the area expected in the next few years and Cross Rail will open up new opportunities for new homes and jobs. We benefit from excellent transport links across London and Essex and our offices, based in Ilford, are only 9 minutes from Stratford and 18 minutes from Liverpool Street, in the heart of the city.
Like many boroughs, Redbridge faces the challenge of delivering growth which is both sustainable and meets the expectations of our residents and communities.
As recently reaffirmed in both national and regional policy, the borough recognises that good design at all scales is critical to deliver growth well. Redbridge is at an important time in its development, with a plan to review key policy documents in the near future. In doing so the authority will seek to deliver on the recommendations set out in the recently completed Growth Commission and establish a sustainable vision for the borough.
The Strategic Urban Design Coordinator will be critical in helping to support and shape this new vision and the guidance which will seek to deliver it.
About the Role
The council is recruiting for an exciting role – the Strategic Urban design Coordinator will help to support multiple service areas and ensure that good design is embedded across multiple workstreams.
Key responsibilities will include:
- To advance development of masterplans, feasibility studies and briefs for sites identified in the Redbridge Local Plan.
- To lead negotiations on pre-application discussions, planning applications, including major and significant complex development proposals to achieve outcomes to meet Council objectives; particularly with regards to good design and growth.
- To provide timely and relevant advice to multiple service areas, elected officials and relevant committees.
- Lead on the provision of Urban Design input to Planning Policy Team within its multiple workstreams, including Local Plan Review and creation of Supplementary guidance.
- To manage the Redbridge Design Review Panel, in order to support Council objectives, particularly with regards to good design and growth.
A degree in Urban Design, Architecture or a related field and extensive experience is required.
For further information about the job role please contact: -
To apply for this job please visit www.redbridge.gov.uk
Ambitious for Redbridge