Brighton & Hove’s Public Health department are looking are recruiting for a permanent Volunteer Co-ordinator, within the Healthy Lifestyles Team, 22.2 hours per week (permanent) with an additional 14.8 hours fixed term for one year.
Closing date: Midnight 2 August 2021
Please call the Healthy Lifestyle Team on 01273 294589 for more information
About the role
The Volunteer Co-ordinator supports the delivery of training and co-ordination of volunteers to run the current Health walks programme with up to 18 weekly walks and over 50 volunteers. Delivering and and developing planned areas of work.
Key activity areas will include:
- Maintain regular communication with the volunteer team to assess any issues/ideas they may have, by phone and by regularly attending each of the Healthwalks on the current programme. Keep the Volunteer team up to date with developments and activities of the team as a whole, through regular telephone, e-mail and written correspondence as required.
- Promote and develop the team’s volunteering opportunities, manage volunteering enquiries, and place volunteers within roles in the Active For Life Team, within the Healthy Lifestyles Team with strategic support from the Active for Life Manager.
- Work in partnership with community and voluntary groups and workers to establish and maintain their own walks in the community and provide advice and support to them to source external funding where relevant.
- Complete national Ramblers wellbeing Walks Training to achieve accreditation to deliver and administer up to three Volunteer Healthwalk Leader Training days, with the support of the Healthwalks Manager Explore and provide other training that is relevant to the support of volunteers within the team.
- Explore potential sources of external funding and complete small grants applications.
- Maintain accurate records of walk participants and monitor the inputting of participation data for project monitoring and evaluation and provide reports and case studies as required.
- Liaise with volunteers and co-ordinate the Healthwalks rota to ensure that all Healthwalks have the appropriate number of Volunteer Walk leaders at each walk.
- Organise regular Volunteer Walk Leader meetings/volunteer meetings, social events and co-ordinate Volunteers’ participation in wider related events.
- Help the volunteer team resolve any issues that arise, both in group and 1:1 settings, and deal with potential problems and challenging situations in a sensitive and supportive way.
- Be an ambassador for Healthwalks and Healthy Living with members of the public and support the general promotion of the scheme and health promotion activities.
- To work flexible hours including some weekends as agreed with the Scheme Co-ordinator.
Effective communication and presentation skills are essential, enabling you to deal with a diverse range of people and groups daily. The role also requires an ability to organise and prioritise a complex and varied workload.
We highly recommend you read the ‘Maximise your Chances’ below before you apply for this job. It is important you are able to show how you meet the Person Specification when applying. Not following this guidance is likely to reduce your chances of success.
Your starting salary will be pro rata if the above position is less than 37 hours or term-time only.
Work Permits: This role does not meet the requirement for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Points-based Immigration System. Successful candidates will need to evidence that they have the Right to Work in the UK.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community but particularly encourage applicants from a BME or White Other background as well as those who identify as disabled, male or trans as these groups are currently under-represented in our Directorate workforce.