Due to the current post holder retiring within the service and a staff member leaving to become a social worker, we now have an opportunity for a full-time Business Support Officer based in our Moulsecoomb and Whitehawk offices.
In Brighton & Hove we have introduced our Team Around the Relationship Model to enable us to continue to support safe and stable family lives. Our Business Support service is essential to our relationship-based model and we believe that investing in our business support is key to supporting frontline staff who are focusing on the work with children, young people and families.
As a Business Support Officer you will be working in small pod teams to support children throughout their journey from assessment to leaving care. This role will provide and build on the necessary skills and experience for a career in social work support and to understand the key role the Business Support Officer plays in achieving outcomes. You will be a key member of the pod of social workers whilst also working alongside a number of other pods as part of the larger team.
You will provide a pro-active administrative support service to a team of social workers and managers in a busy and pressurised office environment. Please be aware this role may involve some exposure to distressing information about family circumstances
You will need to be highly organised and have an ability to work both independently and as part of a team. You will need to enjoy solving problems and managing an evolving workload so computer literacy, knowledge of software programmes and good time-management skills are essential.
You will have experience of working in a busy office environment with the ability to prioritise your workload around the demands of the service while still managing to meet strict deadlines.
This role involves the use of various computer packages and requires you to be able to monitor and analyse data for your team as well as running reports to ensure adherence to statutory deadlines.
For further information please contact:
Ben Hansford, Business Support Manager via telephone 01273 290473 or email Ben.Hansford@brighton-hove.gov.uk (Moulsecoomb)
Karly Blackford, Business Support Manager via telephone 01273 296079 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (Whitehawk)
About the role
Here is what our Business Support Officers say about working in Families Children & Learning:
“The diversity of duties and working in Children’s Services is what attracted me to the role”
“Supporting my social workers, I get a lot of job satisfaction doing this job – feel like I am really involved and helping families lives”
“Feeling you have helped a client in the absence of the social worker in trying to sort out their problems. Having an understanding of their case and developing a rapport with some of the parents.”
Key skills you can offer:
- A flexible, adaptable approach to work with ability to multi task effectively according to business priorities
- Ability to deal with confidential information tactfully and with discretion
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Experience in business support duties including arranging meetings, and taking minutes which may be of a complex nature .
- Competent in working with Outlook and Microsoft Office packages
- Ability to deal with confidential information tactfully and with discretion.
- Inputting and retrieval of data on service based IT system
Our offer to Business Support Officers:
- Career average pension scheme
- 23 days leave a year, rising to 27 days after 5 years service
- Being an active part of group supervisions
- 1-2-1 support from your Business Support Manager
- A program of learning and development opportunities through our Learning Gateway
- An online toolbox of resources to support the work of the Business Support Officer
- Peer support from other business support colleagues across the service
- Benefits such as: bus ticket and cycle loans; reduced cost gym membership with Freedom Leisure
Your starting salary will be pro rata if the above position is less than 37 hours or term-time only.
Work Permits: This role does not meet the requirement for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Points-based Immigration System. Successful candidates will need to evidence that they have the Right to Work in the UK.
Please note that this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, and is subject to a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
We welcome applications from all sections of the community but particularly encourage applicants from a BME or White Other background as well as those who identify as disabled, LGB, male or trans as these groups are currently under-represented in our Directorate workforce.