Salary: London Living Wage - £19,619 p.a.
Location: Team is remote working with no predetermined end date this is subject to ongoing review, our usual office is 222 Upper Street N1 1XR
Hours : 35 hours per week
Data Technician Apprenticeship Pathway
Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities and a competitive salary. Our Data Technician Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a two-year opportunity to build on your problem solving and analytical skills whilst working towards a Data Technician Level 3 qualification. This apprenticeship pathway would suit those who have an interest in Computer Science or Maths. Data Technicians work on information management. They collect and cleanse data and can conduct a range of analytical studies on that data. They report the results of data analysis activities which helps the teams they work in make changes to improve the services that Islington residents use.
There are two roles available and following the initial application process, the successful applicants will join Islington Council’s People Directorate, Partnerships and Support Services. The roles will be part of the Data and Performance team that undertakes various statutory reporting, collation of performance data and data analysis.
The Job - Working as a Data Technician Apprentice for the Council you will:
- Work with experienced officers to collate, analyse, manage, interpret and present data
- Learn about Information management using a variety of tools e.g. MS excel, access, SQL and Power BI
- Manipulate and link different data sets
- Collect and compile data from a wide range of sources
- Assist with data quality checking and cleansing
- Perform database queries to extract data for analysis
- Use a range of analytical techniques such as data mining, time series forecasting and modelling techniques to identify and predict trends and patterns in data
- Assist with the production of data used in reports and presentation e.g. scatter plot, bar graphs, pie charts, GIS mapping tools etc.
- Develop professional relationships with your own team and with others who we work alongside and provide services to
- Build on your existing communication skills, gain invaluable experience and build your self-confidence through your day-to-day workplace activities.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
- Complete a Level 3 Data Technician apprenticeship qualification funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement). This may primarily be through remote learning and a virtual workplace subject to ongoing review.
- Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Data Technician Pathway is ideal for people with excellent attention to detail, analytical skills and a willingness to learn.
To apply for this apprenticeship, you must be:
- aged 16 or above and
- unemployed or working no more than 16 hours per week
- and an Islington resident or Islington care leaver or a student at an Islington secondary school student currently or within the last 12 months.
- Hold GCSE’s or an equivalent qualifications at grade C/level 4 or above in Maths and English
Closing Date: Sunday 29th November 2020 at 23:59pm.
Assessment Day: Week commencing 7th December 2020.
Apprenticeship Start Date: January 2021
For an informal discussion about apprenticeships at Islington council please contact, Bina Limbachia on 020 7527 1885 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk