Key environmental services (waste collection, street cleaning, parks and open spaces) have been outsourced in the borough since 2017. A strategic client unit has been established by the South London Waste Partnership (SLWP), whilst the Council has implemented new arrangements through the Neighbourhood Services Team.
Neighbourhood Services is responsible for developing strategies and key policies for the management and delivery of services and contracts that include;
- parks, open spaces and trees and highway verges, and services relating to their ongoing maintenance. This includes cemeteries, allotments and biodiversity sites.
- residential waste and recycling collections, street cleaning, and winter gritting services.
The Contract Officer will take the lead for waste collections and recycling within the team, in addition to working as part of the multidisciplinary team so will be required to assist with monitoring street cleansing, winter maintenance, parks and open spaces management and various other tasks as part of a team of six Contract Officers.
About the role
The role reports to the Head of Waste & Streets and is responsible for:
- Assisting with the contract monitoring for Waste and Recycling Collection, Street Cleaning and Winter Maintenance.
- Taking a lead for the team with the management of the waste collection and recycling service for the borough.
- Ensuring contractors are compliant with all statutory and legal obligations; performing against both local and contractual performance indicators
- Work collaboratively with colleagues, local community groups, ward councillors, the South London Waste Partnership contractors (and other service providers as appropriate), local businesses, other public agencies and other stakeholders to resolve any issues and to assist in the development of frontline services.
- Taking a lead to implement and develop key projects identified through the Environment and Waste Minimisation Strategies for the borough.
- Managing and supervising the design, development of improved services, as well as assisting with the installation of public realm improvements.
- You will also be responsible for spotting new opportunities and working with councillors, the community and our partners.
- Carrying out risk assessments, facility condition and repair inspections where required.
- Providing support for other areas of work as required.
You are creative, inspiring, energetic, and innovative with good communication skills. Working with a range of stakeholder groups and individuals comes naturally to you, and you have experience of contract monitoring, waste and street cleansing services and small project work. You have a hands on attitude and are able to overcome problems and barriers to meet the communities needs. You will be keen to improve standards by getting the best from contractors and be able to see where improvements will better meet the needs of residents in a cost effective way.
Can you bring your expertise, creativity, innovation and drive to help the team increase satisfaction rates with the service whilst maintaining one of the best recycling rates in London?
We can offer you a supportive environment to grow and develop your career with the opportunity to put your ideas across. Innovation and ambition are strongly encouraged here in Sutton, and you'll get a great feel for that working in our friendly and collaborative environment.
We offer a modern and flexible working environment for our staff allowing you to work from our offices in Carshalton, whilst on the move, and at home following the introduction of Google Chromebooks, Apps and technology, which enable collaborative and streamlined working.
We also offer a huge variety of staff benefits including:
27 days annual leave plus bank holidays
Local and national discounts for shopping, eating out and leisure activities
Comprehensive learning and development programme
Interest free season ticket loans
Local Government Pension Scheme
Bicycle loan facilities and cycle to work scheme
Subsidised gym membership
Please apply online, and ensure that you refer to the person specification element of the Role Profile when completing your supporting statement.
To view the job profile for this role please click here.
Closing date for applications - 25th February 2020
Interview dates - Provisionally 5th and 6th March 2020.