Supported Internship (SI) Lead
Grade: PO3, £37,650 - £40,503 per annum, including London Weighting
Fixed Term, 1 year
“An overwhelming majority of young people with special educational needs are capable of sustained paid employment with the right preparation and support”
A supported internship is a structured study programme aimed at young people aged 16 to 24 with a learning disability, who want to move into paid employment and need extra support to do so.
Lambeth LA is committed to increasing the number of young people with SEND entering paid employment. In November 2017, the Government announced additional funding for LA’s to increase the number of supported internships and other pathways to employment for young people with SEND. The funding provided was intended to be used to establish local supported internship forums and train additional job coaches.
We are looking for an outstanding teaching /development practitioner who will co-ordinate a programme of development work, promotional activity, research and quality assurance activity for Supported Internships for Lambeth young people with an Education and Health Care Plan. The successful candidate will also monitor Lambeth Interns to ensure they are successful on programme and provide support to their families.
You will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a high level of planning and organisational skills with the ability to work to deadlines and exact standards.
Educated to degree level or equivalent with a teaching, mentoring or coaching qualification (Level 5 or IfL approved eg PGCE, Cert Ed, B’Ed or similar) you will have detailed knowledge and experience of the learning and skills sector and inspection frameworks.
The post-holder will:
• Establish and lead a Supported Internship forum bringing together all local partners who can create and deliver supported internships in the local area, with the goal of creating more routes to support young people with SEND into paid employment.
• Build on the pilot project work of the existing SEND Cluster of schools, colleges and local Post 16 providers to establish a supported internship forum, bringing together all partners in the local area who can help develop and deliver supported internships.
• Develop supported employment pathways / practice across the LB of Lambeth with a specific focus on Supported Internships– working collaboratively with the FE College, Special Schools and Colleges, Schools with a Post 16 inclusive specialist unit / provision, Mainstream Sixth forms, Local Post 16 providers and with council teams (SEND / Adult Social Care / Economic Inclusion /– Apprenticeships / SEND Commissioners) and project leads (MENCAP LIFE project).
At this level, you will need:
• Excellent communication skills.
• An excellent understanding of the context in which preparing for adulthood in SEND works in schools and colleges.
• Excellent understanding of the key principles of the Children and Families Act.
For an informal discussion concerning this post please contact Adam Yarnold email: AYarnold@lambeth.gov.uk
The closing date for receiving completed application forms is Sunday 13^th January 2019 at midnight.
Interviews will be scheduled for w/c 21^st January 2019.
Successful candidates will require an Enhanced DBS
Please download the job description and person specification via this link
Lambeth aims for quality services and equal opportunities for all and is committed to safer recruitment.