Origin – Great homes, positive people and strong communities
An inspiring past and a bright future
A home is the essential foundation for a good quality of life, so what we do every day really matters to the wellbeing of our communities. Here at Origin, we trace our roots back 100 years, building and managing high quality homes as well as providing support services and housing for those who are most vulnerable in London and Hertfordshire. We work to provide safe, decent affordable homes and support for individuals and communities.
Focused on our residents, our driving ambition is to provide services that make people’s lives easier, and homes and communities they can be proud to live in. We are ‘not for profit’ and reinvest all our surpluses back into our varied and vibrant neighbourhoods.
The role – Planned and Major Works Surveyor
As Planned and Major Works Surveyor you will support the effective and efficient procurement, management and successful delivery of varied and exciting programmes of planned investment and major works whilst providing an excellent experience for our customers as part of our Assets and Sustainability Team.
As an experienced building surveyor and/or project manager, you will build strong relationships with our internal and external clients and partners to deliver a high quality, customer focused service and with our supply chain partners deliver on time and to budget whilst achieving quality work and value for money.
What you’ll do
- build good working relationships with contractors and address any contract issues quickly and effectively ensuring effective contractual and technical monitoring of performance.
- Effectively specify, procure, manage and deliver contracts, technical consultancy services and projects in accordance with current legislation and good practice.
- Manage capital and revenue programmes of works and other projects, including energy efficiency projects, to deliver a high-quality service, on time and to budget, actively problem solving in order to maximise the performance of the contracts.
- Provide regular progress, KPI and quality reports in the appropriate formats providing assurance of quality service delivery, workmanship and progress.
- Oversee planned programme and individual project budgets.
- Maintain commercial reports ensuring expenditure reporting is accurate and transparent providing assurance of quality commercial management and demonstrating value for money.
- Effectively manage S20 liaison with Home Ownership colleagues to ensure a residents receive accurate cost data and a positive experience. Control accurate budgeting and forecasting ensuring any variations or non-standard works are recorded accurately.
- Prepare and manage interim payments and final accounts, issue valuation statements and certify payments to be made to contractors.
- where required, conduct full building surveys and prepare comprehensive and detailed reports, recommendations and costed works specifications for technically complex or major works projects.
- Prepare robust technical specifications that identify the required works or support the whole life cost cycles within the Stock Investment Plan.
- Advise on construction design, property legislation and building regulations.
What you’ll need
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Completed a recognised course in property construction/maintenance/ refurbishment, HNC in Building, RICS / CIOB or equivalent or proven experience of construction project management/surveying, working in social housing or the building industry with an understanding of the appropriate contract law.
- Experience of contract supervision including consultants, contractors. working in a client / contractor relationship delivering performance and financial targets will be a key part of this role.
- Experience of writing specifications, drafting contract documents and procuring works.
- Experience of working with residents in a customer focused environment.
- Commercial acumen with the ability to deliver efficiency savings and achieve value for money but through collaborative working to achieve the best outcomes for customers.
- Knowledge of building construction and the regulatory and legislative framework
- A practical working understanding of CDM legislation
- A detailed understanding of operational, commercial, and contractual KPIs, with evidence of managing and maximise operational service delivery and productivity, promoting a clear focus on quality assurance, service accessibility and responsiveness, maximising client involvement and feedback.
Our core values are at the heart of how we work
- Take the lead
- Create energy
- Build trust
- Be generous
- Stay grounded
- Remember the little things
We're committed to the wellbeing of our people and in creating an environment that promotes diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
Our benefits to you
- Origin’s ways of working make it easier for you to balance work and home life. You will benefit from flexible working which offers you the opportunity to work from where you are most effective, with the technology and equipment you need, as well as access to flexible space for collaborative working.
- A generous 25-day holiday allowance plus bank holidays, that increases with time, with the opportunity to buy and sell leave
- 2 additional ‘giving something back’ volunteer days
- A pension scheme with contributions up to 8% of your salary
- Family leave, compassionate leave and enhanced maternity pay
- Simply Health cash plan providing money back when you spend on health appointments including physiotherapy, dental and opticians
- Interest free loans to help spread the cost of a season ticket or another big purchase
- Annual staff conference, team away days and annual team meal allowance
- Access to Perk Box for fantastic savings on everyday purchases and much more
- Free employee assistance programme
- Opportunities to join staff network groups
- Refer a friend bonus
We’re also committed to ensuring that our people have access to an excellent range of learning and development opportunities including our induction programme, course sponsorship, leadership development, mentoring and talent schemes along with professional membership if it’s a requirement to your role.
Tell us your story
We are looking forward to learning about you. Please help us get to know you by sending your latest CV and covering letter detailing how your skills and experience meet the job description for Planned and Major Works Surveyor outlined above.
Closing date for applications: 14 February 2024
Initial interviews will be held: 20 and 23 February 2024
Face to face interviews: 28 February 2024
Please note that suitable candidates will be invited to interview throughout the application window and therefore the vacancy may close at short notice. However, all candidates will be advised of the outcome of their application and therefore interested candidates are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience.