Croydon is one of the largest London boroughs and the council is committed to providing safe transportation for its SEN clientele to/from school. Croydon is a distinctive and diverse place and is London’s most populated borough. This is an exciting time to join our team delivering vital services to over 360,000 residents and approximately 14,000 businesses.
Transport and Travel Assistance in Croydon
Growth in the borough and demographic pressures, place an increasing demand on council services, at a time when funding is being reduced. Croydon Council, like many other local authorities, faces a budgetary gap which is addressed in part through transformation programmes. Travel is one of the 10 priority areas.
Travel and transport within Croydon has evolved significantly as a service over the past three years. There is a clear strategy in place for managing increasing demand and a focus on creating an alternative travel model which gives clients more choice and an opportunity to become more independent.
We are recruiting to a minibus driver in house passenger transport service. We are looking for candidates who have had previous experience working in one of these roles or similar and are committed to delivering a high-quality service for this vulnerable client group.
CTS Driver (SEN) Grade 4
2 posts (permanent contract – 25 hours per week split shift working pattern)
Salary £28,272 - £29,139 pro rata
Please note that this is a term time only, part time role and therefore deductions are made to the above salary which will be confirmed in the interview.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate the following:
An appropriate “D1” driving licence (without PCV), D1 PCV or D license qualification for the Vehicle being driven
- Knowledge of Road Traffic Acts and Highway Code. Completed MIDAS and First Aid Training
- Experience of driving young people and adults comfortably and safely in a passenger transport vehicle according to prepared schedules or as directed.
- Experience of assisting passengers in a similar role that requires care and consideration for service users at all times.
- Ability to keep appropriate records as required by this type of service.
· Ability to act effectively to diffuse any difficult situations on the vehicles and to write brief notes/reports on incidents.
· Ability to liaise over day-to-day concerns between home and school with tact and diplomacy,
Special conditions for all in house passenger transport service roles:
· Ability to work flexibly within the services core hours and outside of normal office hours within a rota.
· Enhanced DBS Disclosure required.
· Requirement to wear a uniform whilst undertaking duties.
For further information candidates should contact Daniel Robinson - Croydon Transport Services Manager
Closing date: Sunday 24th December 2023 at 11:59pm
Equal Opportunities and Safeguarding Statement
Croydon Council is an inclusive employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community. Subject to business needs, we will be pleased to consider applications from candidates seeking flexible working arrangements and support hybrid working, whereby staff attend the workplace for part of their working week and work from home, or elsewhere, remotely for the rest of the time.
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the advertised role.
Croydon council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful candidate will be subject to a DBS check.