Finance Manager (Financial Controls)
£57,381 - £69,669 per annum
Newham is one of the youngest, most diverse, and vibrant boroughs in the UK. As an inclusive employer, we are committed to ensuring our workforce reflects our local population. We welcome and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, including applicants who are ethnically diverse and/or applicants who have a disability.
Newham is looking for a Finance Manager who will work on the annual statement of accounts, drive improvements in the closure of accounts process; working closely with colleagues in the wider finance community.
The Financial Control Finance Manager role sits within the Financial Controls Team reporting to the Head of Financial Control, Chief Accountant and will be responsible for leading a team responsible for 2.
In addition to the generic Finance Manager Job Description the specific aspects of the Financial Controls Finance Manager role are outlined below:
- Lead on the production of the annual statement of accounts in accordance with the Code of Practice on Local Authority Accounting, including the Collection Fund.
- Lead and manage the closure of the accounts and the audit process for the authority, ensuring all working papers are of the highest standard, and work collaboratively with internal stakeholders and external audit towards achieving an unqualified audit opinion.
- Operation and enhancement of key financial controls including in-year housekeeping around balance sheet and grants.
- Provide expert professional advice on VAT and CIS.
- Maintain the technical knowledge bank including latest Code, Guidance notes and LAAP bulletins as well as maintaining and updating internal policies such as accounting policy. Horizon Scanning and preparing for future policy changes.
- Manage a small, focused team, driving continued professional development and improvements throughout all the above areas.
- Work collaboratively across financial strategy and the wider finance team.
Candidates must be fully CCAB qualified and registered, with significant post qualification experience, with the technical expertise and strategic mind to deal with the varied challenges of the role. You will have experience managing change and be comfortable working in a local government setting. You will confidently work with senior figures as well as having the people management skills to manage a large team. You will be able to nurture and develop talent within the finance team.
Please view Finance Manager jd
Closing date 26.11.23
We are committed to creating an inclusive, anti-racist environment for all. When you apply for a job at Newham, your application is considered on its merits regardless of your age, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender identity or sexual orientation. If you share our vision and values, and you bring the experience and skills we need, that’s all that matters to us.
The London Borough of Newham has important responsibilities for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. If you are appointed to a job that involves working with these groups, you may be subject to a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
Please attach your supporting statement, explaining in no more than x2 A4 sides why and how you meet the criteria for this role.
We practice anonymised recruitment. Please ensure that you remove all personal information from any documents that you upload.
The personal information we have collected from you will be shared with Cifas who will use it to prevent fraud, other unlawful or dishonest conduct, malpractice, and other seriously improper conduct. If any of these are detected you could be refused certain services or employment. Your personal information will also be used to verify your identity. Further details of how your information will be used by us and Cifas, and your data protection rights, can be found by https://www.cifas.org.uk/fpn.