Hampstead School Site Assistant
- Liaising daily with the Site Manager, Senior Site Officer and Site Officers on caretaking issues and cleansing service of the school.
- Ensure the security of the school premises.
- Assist in the maintenance of any machinery or plant within the school.
- Help maintain the internal and external fabric of the schools premises as a safe working environment.
- The Apprentice Site Assistant will report to the Site Manager on any failure to meet the required cleaning standards.
- Deal with enquiries from staff and pupils.
- Attend training courses where appropriate.
- Take part in the school’s performance management system.
- To be aware of and comply with all school policies and procedures, particularly those relating to child protection, health & safety and data protection
- Open and close school to include all appropriate gates, windows, doors and fire escapes for the purpose of school use, cleaning, maintenance and emergency services
- Check on an agreed basis the proper operation and function of all alarms and fire equipment.
- Check emergency exits and entrances are not obstructed on an agreed basis
- Report acts of vandalism to the Site Manager and Police where necessary.
- General site supervision, including prevention of trespass, ensuring that unauthorised parking does not occur, in conjunction with colleagues, ensuring the safe use of the school site at all times.
- Check and control system function, including frost precaution procedures.
- Maintain stock levels as required including ordering and receipt of supplies.
- Report all defects to the Site Manager
- Reading, recording and reporting all meter readings as required by the Site
- Manager and/or Energy Conservation Officer.
- Cleaning sickness and spillages as required.
- Ensure all bursts, leaks, flooding, fires and breakages are dealt with promptly and safely as appropriate.
- Ensure all electrical and gas emergencies are dealt with promptly and safely as appropriate.
- Ensure access, assist and secure premises for all emergency services as necessary.
- Reporting all defects which require specialist repair.
- Visually inspect electrical fittings and report defects as required.
- Replace bulbs, fluorescent fittings, shades and domestic fuses as required.
- Regularly inspect all plumbing and report/repair defects as appropriate.
- Regular measurement of water temperature re: prevention of Legionella.
- Synchronise all clock, time switches, etc. as required.
- Undertake minor repairs to fixtures and fittings including desks, tables and chairs as appropriate (excluding electrical equipment).
- Subject to the requirements of Health and Safety and the use of proper equipment, touch up decoration on any area agreed as reasonable with the Site Manager.
- Be responsible for the supply and availability of hygiene materials as required.
- Receive and move supplies to various parts of the building as appropriate.
- Remove or obscure all graffiti as required by the Site Manager
- To maintain cleanliness and general tidiness of all external areas, and empty litter bins daily.
- Clean and clear all drains, gullies and ensure effective and healthy operation.
- Inspect outside fabric of the school and report and/or repair defects as appropriate.
- Inspect all fences, gates, walls, steps, lights etc. report and/or repair defects as appropriate.
- Clear leaves, snow, ice, moss and debris as appropriate including treatment of surfaces with salt, etc. Order any necessary de-icing materials.
- Inspect all outside areas for hazardous materials. Consult with Site Manager for the best method of removal.
- Maintenance of school gardens including planting bulbs etc.
- As routine cleaning is undertaken by direct labour, ensure that the school is cleaned to the agreed specification. Report any issues to the Site Manager.
- In accordance with the schedule laid down, check regularly that the barrier matting is serviceable and that routine maintenance (dust bags, filters, etc.) of buffers, sprayers, etc. is undertaken.
- Daily disinfection of water fountains.
- Performing all the above when required being on duty to ensure effective lettings and school events; ensuring areas are cleaned as required in accordance with the Site Manager’s arrangements
- The above duties are not exhaustive and the post-holder may be required to undertake tasks, roles and responsibilities reasonably assigned to them by Senior Management.
- Hampstead School is committed to safeguarding & promoting the welfare of children and young people. All staff are expected to share this commitment.
- Willing to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service check (DBS)
- An understanding of basic health & safety requirements
- Ability to communicate clearly to all sections of the school community both verbally and in writing
- Ability to adhere to working procedures and policies within the school environment
- Ability to operate as part of a team or individually as required
- Ability to perform the physical tasks required by the post, including lifting, carrying and pushing various equipment to undertake the duties of the post
- Ability to carry out a range of administrative tasks, including stock taking
- Display a conscientious and logic approach to the variety of tasks necessary for the smooth running of the school
- All candidates must have a strong working knowledge of safeguarding practices and be committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people.
Please note, this role includes early starts and some weekend shifts.
To apply for this role applicants must:
1. Be a Camden resident, former Camden secondary school student or Camden care leaver
2. Have the right to live and work in the UK
3. Have lived in the EU or UK for the last 3 years (except if you are an asylum seeker or refugee)
4. NOT already have a level 2 qualification (or higher) in Facilities Services or significant caretaking work experience
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a Disclosure and Barring Check.
Important note - role may close early if we get enough suitable applications, those interested in the role are encouraged to apply ASAP.
Camden care leavers and people with learning difficulties or disabilities will be prioritised for final interviews provided they meet the minimum requirements of the role.
Camden is committed to making our recruitment practices barrier-free and as inclusive as possible for everyone. This includes making adjustments or changes for people who have a disability or long-term health condition and finding out if part time work options are available. If this affects you, please contact us to discuss at email@example.com
Diversity and Inclusion
Camden Apprenticeships wants to ensure our communities are represented across all our apprenticeship opportunities. A vital part of this is ensuring we are a truly inclusive service that encourages diversity in all respects, including diversity of thinking. Camden Apprenticeships particularly welcomes applications from Black, Asian and those of Other Ethnicities, LGBT+, disabled and neurodiverse communities to make a real difference to our residents so that equalities and justice remains at the heart of everything we do.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided.
Please note, we do not accept CVs submitted without a fully completed online application form.