Caretaker Assistant x 2
(30 Hours Per Week, Term-Time Only plus 3 weeks)
Downs View School in Woodingdean / Downs View Link College in Varndean
We are a highly innovative, committed, outward looking and enthusiastic organisation in all aspects of our work but especially: highest quality education and care, inclusive practice, staff development and parental engagement.
We have 152 pupils at Downs View School (aged 4-16) and have needs related to SLD/PMLD/ASC and complex needs. At Downs View Link College, our students are aged 16-19 years old, with severe learning difficulties, autism and profound/multiple difficulties.
About the role
We are looking for organised, motivated, flexible and committed individuals that can work as a part of a team to provide efficient and effective building maintenance and cleaning support within the school/college to ensure a clean and safe learning environment for the pupils.
Core responsibilities include:
- Support the caretaker in carrying out preventative and planned maintenance across the building and grounds. Work safely with tools, ladders, maintenance equipment and materials.
- To promote and ensure maintenance, cleanliness and tidiness, thus creating a pleasant, safe and hygienic working environment.
- To maintain and clean designated areas, in accordance with the building maintenance and cleaning specification as directed by the Caretaker. This may include maintaining and cleaning hallways, floors, removing graffiti as well as unpleasant and potentially harmful substances from surfaces.
- To carry out basic maintenance to school buildings, this may include decorating, carpentry, basic plumbing, and minor repairs such as faulty plugs, fuses, light bulbs, and refurbishment projects such as erecting shelves, partitions, work surfaces as directed within capabilities.
- To support gardening within the school/college grounds in order to ensure a presentable environment for pupils, staff and visitors
- To use cleaning materials and equipment necessary to carry out duties including diluting and using cleaning chemicals as instructed with due regard to COSHH regulations.
- To operate maintenance tools and cleaning machinery in accordance with instructions and within Health & Safety guidelines, and to keep such machinery in clean and safe condition reporting faults to managers.
- To collect and remove rubbish from work areas to a collection point as directed and to assist moving furniture as required
- To carry out emergency maintenance and cleaning as required, resulting from damage, accident, sickness, vandalism and fire.
- Ensure all medical/clinical waste is sealed in appropriate coloured bags and made ready for collection (usually in Special Schools).
- To report defects such as faulty plugs, fuses etc to supervisor/manager.
- Take such measures as appropriate to protect the school and its contents.
- To comply with regulations relating to security and confidentiality
- To take appropriate Health & Safety precautions, where necessary, whilst carrying out duties thereby ensuring the personal safety of all staff, pupils and visitors.
- To uphold the Council’s policies for anti-discriminatory practice and equality of opportunity.
- To uphold the Council’s and other departments’ Health and Safety requirements, particularly with regard to agreed codes of practice and safe methods of working.
We are absolutely committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff to share this commitment. The role is subject to a successful enhanced DBS check.
For further information please contact the school office on 01273 601680 or email email@example.com
For roles being advertised that are either Casual, Scale 1-2, Scale 3 or Scale 4, or have a pro rata entry salary below £20,480:
Work Permits: This role does not meet the requirement for UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) Points-based Immigration System. Successful candidates will need to evidence that they have the Right to Work in the UK.
Please note that this post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, and is subject to a Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
Brighton & Hove Schools - Taking Action for Equality
The School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Brighton & Hove Schools do not accept CV or resume.