Benefits Officer (six posts)
Benefits Officer Position (Six Posts)
Employer: London Borough of Waltham Forest
DBS Check: Yes
Closing Date: 07/04/2023
Test/Interview: Week commencing 17/04/2023
The London Borough of Waltham Forest is looking for an experienced Benefits Officer to join our Benefits Service.
The successful candidate will be responsible for accurate and effective processing of both Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support using the Capita processing system and Workflow 360 (Comino) document management system.
The primary focus of the Benefits Service is the administration of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction. The service also deals with discretionary housing and Council Tax payments, Local Welfare Assistance, the recovery of overpayments, free school meals and many of the discretionary schemes introduced by central government as a response to the Cost-of-Living Crisis.
The successful candidate will have proven skills and experience in a customer facing environment, knowledge of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction legislation and guidance together with the ability to meet demanding performance targets
Ensure that all benefit and Council Tax support records are maintained and administered to ensure the correct and appropriate awards are made and to bring to the attention of a senior officer any matters that affect the delivery of the service. Promote additional support available to customers where financial difficulties are apparent. Ensure that all necessary evidence and information is requested at the same time. Check correctness of decision letters and edit appropriately before they are sent. Determine cause(s) where an overpayment is identified and any persons from whom the overpayment is recoverable from. Deal telephone and written enquiries from customers and their representatives.
Appointment at Senior Officer grade may be available to candidates who are able to demonstrate a detailed knowledge of the relevant legislation and significant caselaw, experience in having made decisions under at least one discretionary scheme and carried out functions in keeping with a higher grade.
- A good knowledge of Housing Benefits and Council Tax Reduction Legislation and have relevant work experience in processing Housing Benefits and Council Tax Support claims.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and verbal and be able to manage your own workload.
- Ability to work accurately and to tight deadlines and able to work on your own and as part of a team.
- Ability to keep up to date with relevant legislative changes.
- Conscientious attitude and attention to detail
- Ability to remain calm and focused under pressure
- Passionate about doing a good job and delivering results
- Flexible approach to work to accommodate changing priorities.
If you want a challenging yet rewarding role delivering the highest levels of customer service, then we want to hear from you.
The post is open to all candidates with the appropriate knowledge, skills, and experience to fulfil the role profile attached.
If you want to learn more about the post or the team and have further questions, please contact the Head of Service Samantha.email@example.com
- Waltham Forest is a vibrant and culturally diverse borough
- We were the first ever London Borough of Culture
- Home to The William Morris Museum
- Home to Walthamstow Wetlands
- Based at Fellowship Square-the heart of the Forest community
- We offer;
- Flexible working/Hybrid working to support work-life balance (typically 3 days home working)
- Up to 31 days annual leave plus public holidays (depending on length of service)
- Training and Development support
- Employee Assistance Programme, providing advice and counselling programmes
- Health and Leisure Discounts/Staff Benefits scheme
How to Apply
Application Information The councils preference is for on-line application forms. However if you have a disability and are unable to complete an on-line application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can arrange an alternative.
For more information on how to complete your application form, follow this link: Applying for a job at Waltham Forest Council
Click here for further information on the Human Resources recruitment privacy notice.