Southwark is a large, ambitious and progressive council with a ‘can do’ attitude and enviable reputation. As a Council, we are successful, passionate and forward-thinking. We are committed to our ‘Fairer Futures for All’ promise which ensures that our residents and businesses are central to everything we do. If you want to make a difference at a local level, apply to Southwark Council today.
An exciting opportunity has arisen in the Food Safety Team for an experienced, dynamic and innovative individual to lead the team and manage the delivery of food law regulation and infectious disease control.
The service delivers vital statutory functions protecting public health through regulating food businesses operating in the borough to ensure food safety and preventing the spread of infectious diseases.
We are looking for an experienced, ambitious and driven Environmental Health Officer or Food Safety Officer with current or recent experience in food law regulation to lead the team. You will be knowledgeable of food safety matters and able to satisfy the qualifications and competency requirements of the Food Standards Agency for individuals responsible for the direct management and delivery of food law regulation. Additionally, you will be focused on ensuring that we deliver the highest standards of customer care and contribute to the council’s local priorities while fulfilling the statutory responsibilities linked to the role.
You will be required to manage a complex caseload and provide expert advice and specialist knowledge to a regulatory service that is responsible for protecting the community, using relevant legislation to control and enforce in the team that is responsible for food safety and infectious disease control.
You will ensure the team contributes to the maintenance and improvement of the borough’s environment and well-being through the following:
- Provide leadership and management of the officers in the team, providing direction and professional guidance.
- Effectively manage direct reports through sound performance management and monitoring regimes.
- Create and lead effective partnerships with other key agencies including the Police, HMRC, UK Border Force, London Fire Brigade, OPSS, Food Standards Agency, PCT, UK Health Security Agency to deliver a multi-partnership response to the effective delivery of environmental health and trading standards services.
- Review and monitor performance and quality of services in accordance with the requirements of the Food Law Code of Practice other relevant guidance and the council’s visions and values.
- Assist the unit manager in the strategic development and long term business planning of the business unit, division and department in line with council priorities.
- Ensure the team provides and delivers a high quality service and achieves performance against national indicators.
- Contribute positively to the strategic management of the business unit, division and department and the development of policy through individual contribution and membership of management teams.
Benefits and more information:
If you would like an informal discussion about this role, please contact Earl Legister on 020 7525 0392 or email Earl.Legister@southwark.gov.uk
We are an organisation who is passionate about our people and understands that richness of diversity is a requirement to provide the best possible services to our communities. This is demonstrated through our council-wide ambitious commitment to tackle racial inequality in our communities and workforce through our Southwark Stands Together initiative. We particularly welcome applications from members of the black, Asian and ethnic minority communities to increase representation at senior management level in the Council.
Interview – Week commencing TBC