Are you looking for a career in civil engineering? Do you want to work for an award winning, ambitious public sector organisation?
We are looking for three full time, motivated, and energetic Civil Engineering Apprentices to work within our busy Highways and Traffic Management Team at the London Borough of Waltham Forest.
This is an exciting opportunity to embark on a challenging and rewarding career in a dynamic, fast paced environment. Successful candidates will be supported with a thorough training scheme which will help them acquire the skills and knowledge to enable them to successfully fulfil this civil engineering position within a sustainable transport environment.
The post is for a period of 36 months but on completion of the apprenticeship, the post holder will be supported to apply for other internal vacancies to progress their career. Highways and Traffic Management runs an Institution of Civil Engineers approved training programme allowing engineers to gain professional accreditation.
The successful candidate will work within the Highways and Traffic Management team and a wide range of internal and external stakeholders and partners. The successful candidate will be involved in and carry out a varied range of tasks. Some of the key responsibilities for the role will be to:
- Working on traffic studies to help improve our public highway
- Support the day-to-day administration and operation of key highway departments such as Street Lighting, Network Operations and Traffic
- Learn to use the latest engineering software such as AutoCAD
- Experience site work delivering key highway projects
The successful candidates will:
- Have demonstrable interest in sustainability, transport and/or climate change
- Experience of having worked in a fast paced, customer focused environment
- Possess the ability to read and understand written procedures and policies
- Have a qualification in Maths and English at Grade A-C / 5-9 GCSE
- Good knowledge and application of IT systems and software packages
- Be able to organise and prioritise a challenging and varied workload but know when to approach colleagues for support and guidance.
About Waltham Forest:
Waltham Forest is a vibrant, diverse home to approximately 260,000 residents in East London, easily accessible from central London by train and underground.
The London Borough of Waltham Forest is one of the UK’s highest performing local authorities, serving as one of London’s best places to live and work. We have achieved a huge amount: we were the first ever London Borough of Culture and have won over 30 awards for our innovative Enjoy Waltham Forest Programme. Our services, our schools, our public spaces are all amongst the very best. We are an ambitious and innovative Council taking bold new actions to support our residents while remaining focussed on a long-term positive future for Waltham Forest.
Our immediate priorities are to:
- Celebrate our borough and our residents, working together to make it the best and fairest place it can be
- Do everything we can to help residents find good jobs
- Work with residents to act locally to fight the Climate Emergency and build a cleaner future
- Tackle the inequality that holds some of our residents back so that we can harness the diverse passions and skills of the people of Waltham Forest
- Work with residents to reduce crime and keep our homes and neighbourhoods safe
- Work with everyone in our community to protect us all from Covid 19 and to help people live longer, healthier and happier lives
For further information about the role, please contact Declan Lynch, Head of Highway Network Management, via emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
We reserve the right to close any vacancies from further submissions, when we have received sufficient applications from which to make a shortlist. Please ensure you apply without delay if you wish to be considered for this role. If you have not heard from us within 6 weeks from the closing date, please assume your application has been unsuccessful.
London Borough of Waltham Forest values and respects the diversity of its employees and aims to recruit a workforce which reflects our diverse communities. We welcome applications irrespective of people's age, disability, gender, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or other personal circumstances. We have policies and procedures in place to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly and consistently at every stage of the recruitment process.