Can You Inspire Southwark Council to shape a new future for public leisure services?
Southwark is a large, ambitious and progressive council with a ‘can do’ attitude and enviable reputation. As a Council, we are successful, passionate and forward-thinking. In June 2023, Leisure Services will transfer from the current operator back to the Council.
The new Commercial Manager role provides the opportunity to be at the centre of shaping a new future for leisure services in Southwark; to shape a new business unit ready to operate a 12-million-pound business by June 2023. If you enjoy a challenge and can see the bigger picture whilst maintaining an eye for detail, we would like to hear from you. This role demands vision, passion and inspirational leadership to build a high performing operation.
The role will lead on product development in key revenue generating areas and ensure effective sales, marketing and communications across the full service, as well as overseeing effective provision of front of house services to exceed customer expectations.
We are looking for an inspirational Leisure Commercial Manager, with significant experience in leadership within a leisure centre environment, to lead design and delivery of all products and services to help the business achieve revenue expectations.
You will oversee and be responsible for the activities of about 80 staff across the 8 leisure centres within the borough.
The Leisure Division sits within the Department of Environment and Leisure, which is responsible for the day-to-day management of parks and open spaces, trees, sports and leisure, cemeteries, youth and play, highways, roads, parking, refuse collection, street cleansing, culture and libraries. It also looks after public health, trading standards and consumer safety.
- Can demonstrate knowledge and successful delivery of revenue sales planning and processes for key revenue areas, including membership, fitness, group exercise and aquatics.
- Can demonstrate knowledge and successful delivery of marketing and communications plans with full understanding of CRM and social media platforms.
- Experience in leisure and sports facility management in a senior position.
- Experience of budget preparation, target setting, monitoring and reporting performance as part of service processes.
- Can demonstrate excellent leadership, communication and presentation skills.
For an informal discussion about this exciting opportunity, please contact the Head of Leisure Insourcing, David Pugh at David.Pugh@southwark.gov.uk
Additional salary details
- Job type – Permanent (Full Time).
- Might be required to work weekends and evenings to meet the needs of the service.
- No DBS check required.
- Comply with and promote the Council’s Equal opportunities policy.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an Assessment Centre.
Benefits and more information:
Interview and Assessment date: 12 August 2022.
We are an organisation who is passionate about our people and understands that richness of diversity is a requirement to provide the best possible services to our communities. This is demonstrated through our council-wide ambitious commitment to tackle racial inequality in our communities and workforce through our Southwark Stands Together initiative. We particularly welcome applications from members of the black, Asian and ethnic minority communities to increase representation at senior management level in the Council.
How to Apply
Please apply online via the link provided with the following prepared:
- your CV
- A covering letter that sets out your motivation for applying for this secondment, and why you think your skills and experience make you suitable. No more than two side of A4.