Youth Employment Project Lead – Employment Project Officer (PO2)
Maternity Cover (fixed term contract 12 months)
The London Borough of Waltham Forest is committed in supporting all residents into sustainable employment and ensuring within the process that individuals can build strong career aspirations. We are proud to be one of the most diverse areas in the country and want to ensure that all young people, have an opportunity to reach their career potential. Also, breaking-down the misconceptions that our young residents may have about certain employment industries and sectors, making them aware that all employment roles are achievable.
Our already established and successful Futures Programme is an innovative cluster of programmes developed to help residence gain knowledge, skills, and insights into growth sectors within the borough and help young residents build networks, confidence and understanding of the breadth of opportunities available to them. Over the last year our Futures Programme has expanded from its initial pilot programme the Culture Leadership Programme; our legacy programme from our year as the first London Borough of Culture in 2019. Our programmes now offered are:
We are seeking an energetic and creative project officer to join the Employment, Business and Skills Service and work alongside the Future Programme lead, to run key projects aimed at young residents. Successful applicants will need to have an interest and some understanding of the creative and tech industry, sustainability and environmental growth employment areas, and also business start -ups and enterprise.
- Experience in supporting residents aged 16-24 years old (up to 30 on some projects) into employment or training
- An understanding of the barriers that young residents are facing to gain employment, especially residents from marginalised groups
- Some business experience and understanding of business research methods
- Strong understands of the different neighbourhoods that Waltham Forest Council serves
- An ability to communicate and summarise project outputs at all levels
- Ability to move young people that are classed as NEET into employment, training, or education and the ability to record outcomes.
- Comfortable running workshops (in person or online) to help young residents build career aspirations and gain an awareness of employment sectors
- Proactivity and community outreach – being enthusiastic about promoting youth employment initiatives to residents, internal council services, education establishments and external partners
- A team player who can work in partnership with all the Employment, Business and Skills Service teams and is passionate about helping the local community
You must be confident in dealing with a variety of residents, businesses, and stakeholders through multiple communication channels, whilst being a positive advocate for all service delivery. You must be able to relate to young residents and learn about the social and economic barriers stopping them from finding employment. Be highly organised and able to prioritise a constantly evolving workload, whilst continuing to deliver to tight deadlines. You need to be adaptable and resilient to change, approach queries and challenges in a dynamic and solution focused way and be able to apply your skills to provide a range of support to varying service areas.
Waltham Forest is devoted to ensure, that young residents have access to local regional and national employment opportunities and make them more aware of roles available to them. This role will help to provide young residents with the tools and skills needed to achieve their future career goals.
Closing Date 3rd June 2022
We will interview applicants prior to the closing date, so please do not wait until the closing date to apply.
How to Apply
Application Information The councils preference is for on-line application forms. However if you have a disability and are unable to complete an on-line application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can arrange an alternative.
For more information on how to complete your application form, follow this link: Applying for a job at Waltham Forest Council
Click here for further information on the Human Resources recruitment privacy notice.