Islington Council is determined to continue making Islington fairer, ‘creating a place where everyone, whatever their background, can reach their potential and enjoy a good quality of life.’ This vision also translates into how we work internally to ensure our customers continue to receive the best service from the council.
The Corporate Support Officers play a vital role providing first class, confidential and proactive support to the Corporate Director / Service Director(s) to ensure members operate efficiently and effectively, improving the experience and outcomes for our service users and residents.
We are looking for a proactive and highly organized individual who has experience in dealing with people at a range of levels within an organization, you will be confident and outgoing with a passion for delivering exceptional support and service both to senior leaders and residents.
The ideal candidate will be a quick thinker, a willing team member and able to adapt to changing priorities on a daily basis. They should be able to work with the utmost discretion and with a good awareness of political sensitivities. You must be a confident communicator, able to liaise with Members, Directors and Partners. This is a fast-paced, exciting, and varied role, whilst being extremely rewarding.
Key responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining an in-depth overview of major issues as they arise and either deal with these personally or bring matters to the attention of the Director/ Service Director(s) or the Executive Liaison Manager as appropriate.
- Work with the Executive Liaison Manager to ensure that effective systems are in place to manage the Forward Plan and other events for reports to Council meetings.
- To provide support and provide advice to authors on the requirements of the various decision-making threshold.
- Ensure efficient diary management, including effective planning and prioritizing.
- Ensuring that the assigned Corporate Director / Service Director(s) receive appropriate briefings in advance of internal, external meetings and those presentations, which they need to deliver.
- Manage events and meetings, including coordinating – liaising with external providers as necessary, and providing minute taking if appropriate.
Closing date: Sunday 22nd May 2022 at 23:59pm
Interview date: Wednesday 8th June 2022
For informal discussion please contact Julie Paul | Resources Executive Manager | Email: Julie.firstname.lastname@example.org | Tel:
An exciting opportunity has arisen to be part of the newly formed Business Support Service which brings together Business, Personal and Executive Support from the six departments into a centralised structure.
- Act as “gatekeeper”, filtering all contact with the Director(s) /Service Director, exercising judgement with regard to whether matters require personal attention and the degree of urgency involved, and re-routing where appropriate. This includes tactfully handling all cold-calls, exercising consistently high standards of confidentiality, tact and diplomacy.
- Ensure the timely and confidential production of correspondence, reports and other documents required by the Director/Service Director(s) by whatever means (i.e. including dictation, audio tapes, notes etc.), ensuring that appropriate and available information technology is used to present these to the highest of standards.
- Making suitable meeting preparation, room bookings, verifying attendance, providing hospitality, setting up presentations and producing summaries for meetings.
- Manage all authorisation requests including but not limited to; Disclosure and Barring Service (DSB), Job Evaluations, payments and invoicing, Honorarium payments, Consultancy Business Cases, restructure proposals, Redundancy letters, managing the use of the electronic signatures. Maintaining confidentiality and GDPR of items at all times.
- Ensure that actions delegated by the Corporate Director/ Service Director(s) to other managers and staff in the department are progressed in their absence.
- To draft correspondence and reports on behalf of the Director/ Service Director(s), producing summaries of reports and preparing presentations on correct corporate templates.
- Ensure efficient diary management, including effective planning and prioritising of the Director’s /Service Director(s) time and availability.
- Ensuring that the assigned Director/ Service Director(s) receive appropriate briefings in advance of internal and external meetings and those presentations, which they need to deliver, are prepared.
- Manage events and meetings. This includes co-ordinating – liaising with external providers as necessary, and providing minute taking if appropriate, to ensure that actions are monitored and followed up.
- Liaise regularly on behalf of the Director /Service Director(s) with Members, local members of Parliament, and Chief Officers both within and outside of the Council, doing so in a professional polite and politically sensitive manner.
- Provide email cover for Director /Service Director(s), fully managing their emails in their absence.
- Collate and coordinate deputy cover for the Director /Service Director(s) and ensure on-call commitments are accurate recorded in their calendar.
- Dissemination of all staff communication on behalf of the Director /Service Director(s).
Forward Plan of Key Decisions
- Ensure governance processes are correctly followed and the reporting cycle is maintained.
- Ensure that all decisions taken are taken in line with the Council’s schemes of delegation and are properly recorded.
- Ensure that appropriate procedures are in place to sign off reports within deadlines, and that designated report authors are aware of reports they are responsible for and that all deadlines in the process are adhered to.
- Work with authors and managers to improve the quality of reports and presentations, re- drafting as necessary.
- In respect to corporate support responsibilities the post holder would be expected to confidently deputise for the Executive Liaison Manager including covering key meetings, preparing reports and presentations and arranging and facilitating senior boards, away days and so on.