Assistant Finance Manager
£45,834 - £48,819 pa
We are looking to recruit to three Assistant Finance Manager positions in the Finance Team supporting the following areas:
- CYPS (Education) x 1
- Inclusive Economy & Housing x 1
- Financial Strategy x 1
The Job Description includes details of the role’s purpose and responsibilities. Specific areas of responsibility include:
- Working with schools to support their budget monitoring and budget management
- Provision of professional financial and accounting advice to budget managers in the Education Service
- Involvement in the calculation and allocation of funding for schools
- Supporting the Finance Manager with work of the Schools Forum, including financial analysis, modelling and schools forum papers
- Contributing to the budget setting process for schools and the education service
- Provide support with year-end closedown and consolidation of accounts
Inclusive Economy & Housing
- Working with Housing Needs, Planning and Community Wealth Building to support their budget monitoring and budget management
- Provision of professional financial and accounting advice to budget managers across Inclusive, Economy & Housing
- Support and challenge on MTFS savings delivery and potential resolutions where pressures arise
- Financial modelling of Temporary Accommodation income and expenditure including reconciliations and trend analysis
- Monitoring of S106 and Community Infrastructure levy receipts and allocations
- Provide effective monitoring of the Community Wealth Building capital programme
Financial Strategy (Capital)
- Support on developing the Capital Strategy and programme management principles to enable the setting, development, monitoring and delivery of the capital programme
- Involved in all capital elements of year-end/accounts closure work and support the audit process for capital, ensuring all working papers are of the highest standard, and work collaboratively with internal stakeholders and external audit.
- Production of periodic management reporting to Strategic Investment Board, CMT and Cabinet
- Provide expert professional advice on a wide variety of subjects falling within the capital area including CIL, s106, capital grants, HRA, strategic commercial investment and estate regeneration as well as technical accounting.
- Develop systems and processes to improve Capital decision making to maximise impact of finite financial resources to deliver Council Priorities.
In order to apply, you need to be either CCAB qualified, or actively working towards a qualification
If you are interested in this role, please submit a supporting statement, explaining in no more than 1 x A4 side on why you would like to apply. Please ensure you state a preference for the area you are interested in and note this will be based on suitability.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the role further, please contact Dena Aly.
Closing Date 4.1.22
Please view Assistant Finance Manager JD
The London Borough of Newham is a Disability Confident employer. Candidates who declare that they have a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and meet the essential criteria as specified in the Job Profile will be guaranteed an interview.
Newham is one of the youngest, most diverse, and vibrant boroughs in the UK. As an inclusive employer, we are committed to ensuring our workforce reflects our local population. We welcome and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, including applicants who are ethnically diverse and/or applicants who have a disability.
Priority consideration on all advertised roles will be given to London Borough of Newham Redeployees.
The London Borough of Newham is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable groups and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Please be aware that a Disclosure and Barring Scheme (DBS) check will be required for any position with access to these groups under the provision of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.