Islington Council offers a wide range of high-quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities, and a competitive salary.
Our Digital Service Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a 2-year long opportunity to build on your digital support and customer care skills and apply your ‘can-do’ attitude whilst working towards a Digital Support Technician qualification. Following the initial application process, successful applicants will join Islington Council’s Digital Services, Service Desk Team, where you will work to deliver the Council’s corporate customer care standards.
The Digital Services, Service Desk Team provides delivery of mission critical, reliable, high quality IT services to all 5,000 staff across the Council. This is achieved through excellent customer service and the delivery of key activities which are designed to meet the needs of our customers. Working as part of a friendly and well-respected team, your role will be varied and rewarding.
The Job - Working as a Service Desk Analyst Apprentice for the Council you will:
- Work as part of a team to support, respond and resolve user’s digital incidents effectively and efficiently.
- Liaise with users directly via the phone, email, instant messaging and/or in person regarding their IT requests.
- Learn key office and administration skills to ensure the smooth functioning of the team, including updating records and systems.
- Use your knowledge and understanding of the Council’s policies and procedures to respond to requests and escalate where appropriate.
- Use problem-solving skills to provide advice and support to user’s issues and concerns and escalate where appropriate.
- Develop strong professional relationships with your own team and with others we work alongside and to whom we provide services.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
- Complete a level 3 Digital Support Technician apprenticeship funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement) and will provide both practical and theory-based qualifications.
- Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council.
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as discounted gym memberships, cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher-level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Digital Service Apprenticeship Pathway is ideal for those who enjoy helping others and are passionate about technology and good customer service.
To apply for this pathway, you must:
- Be aged 16 or above and
- unemployed (or working no more than 16 hours) and
- an Islington resident or Islington care leaver or a student at an Islington secondary school currently or within the last 12 months.
- Not currently qualified at level 3 or above in Digital Support or similar qualification
Closing Date: Sunday 12th December 2021 at midnight
Assessment Day: Week Commencing Monday 03 January 2022
Apprenticeship Start Date: February 2022
An information session is being held on 7 December 2021 at 2pm for any residents who would like a chance to find out more about the role before applying and we can also offer some application guidance . Please register your details on by clicking on the apprenticeship information session link
As part of the recruitment process, you must also meet the course entry requirements of the apprenticeship and this may result in further assessments undertaken by the training provider.
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application, please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk