Hillingdon Council: Putting our Residents first.
About the role
We are looking for a skilled, experienced and compassionate Social Worker to join our Fostering and Support team.
In April 2018, Ofsted graded Looked After Children's experiences and progress as good and our leadership outstanding. Fostering Support and Supervision interventions are meaningful and add value, not only to improve outcomes for children, but also offer foster carers opportunities to develop therapeutic and restorative practice to caring for children. Our social workers spend more time with foster carers and children, listening to children's voice, supporting children to overcome adversity, have placement stability and thrive is our core value. "Children and young people are valued and feel valued and this is the ethos across the local authority." (Ofsted 2018).
We aim to ensure that all children who cannot grow up at home with their birth family, find a home with Connected Persons, Special Guardians, Foster Carers, Children's Homes and adoptive families, depending on what they need. Our job is to work alongside the children's social worker to find the best-matched family for each child. We provide expert and specialist consultation, assess and support carers to care for children and young people on a temporary or permanent basis. What Ofsted said:
* "The vast majority of children live in suitable and stable homes with their brothers and sisters.
* Contact is given high priority and promoted.
* Children benefit from timely and well-considered options for permanence
* Kinship carers and foster carers receive a good level of training and support from an experienced and skilful fostering service"
What we need from you:
- You must keep children and young people in mind in your practice
- You must have a social work qualification
- You must be able to evidence a commitment to your own development since qualification.
- You must be HCPC registered
Good Report/Writing skills
- Excellent People Skills
- Ambition for young people
- Solid understanding of fostering practice and safeguarding children
- Knowledge of Fostering Regulations
How will we help you develop as a Social Worker?
- As part of the West London Alliance and West London Teaching Partnership, Hillingdon has a PCF/KSS led training programme to provide all social workers with focused development opportunities.
- You will be surrounded by emotionally intelligent, dedicated social workers and leaders who model a "Children First" ethos. Every conversation you have will enhance your learning.
- You will have regular, reflective supervision and group supervision.
- You will be trained to use risk assessment tools and apply strength-based models of restorative practice to achieve best outcomes for children.
- You will be provided with equipment to assist mobile and flexible working.
- You will receive regular feedback from children and young people about your practice and how it impacts on their lives.
- You will have access to a car
What we offer
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For more senior positions holiday entitlements can rise to a maximum of 36 days
- career breaks
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. Applicants should be aware that the post will only be offered to successful candidates subject to an Enhanced DBS check as well as other employment clearances.