Islington Council are taking part in the UK Government’s Kickstart Scheme which is part of the Chancellor’s plan for jobs. The scheme offers young people, who are at risk of long-term unemployment, the opportunity to take part in a work placement where they will develop new skills to enable them to move into sustained employment at the end of the programme.
To apply for a Kickstart role at Islington you must:
- Have been referred by your Job Centre Plus Work Coach.
- Be aged 16-24 years old and in receipt of Universal Credit.
- Be able to work for 25 hours per week.
Please note we are not able to progress any applications for candidates who do not meet the above criteria and checks will be made to confirm eligibility.
Our Kickstart role is a 6-month paid work placement in Islington Council’s Revenues Service. You will be on a team with other trainees where we will train you in the knowledge and skills needed to be what we call a “Revenues Officer” which means, an expert in Council Tax and Business Rates.
At the end of the 6 months we will encourage you to apply for a permanent position in the team so there is also the possibility of long-term employment with Islington after your 6 month placement. We cannot guarantee that you will get a permanent position after your placement but we can guarantee that you will be able to apply for one.
The Revenues Kickstart Team will be based 3½ days a week in Islington Offices at 7 Newington Barrow Way, London N7 7EP.
You do not need any previous experience to apply, but if you come and work with us, we’ll ask you to commit to our vision of working towards a fairer Islington for all our residents, and that you demonstrate our values; collaborative, ambitious, resourceful and empowering through the work you do whilst you’re with us.
The Revenues Service is responsible for sending out accurate Council Tax and Business Rates bills and collecting money from late or non-payers. As you make progress during your training you will be working on real cases with real customers.
Working as a Kickstart - Revenues Trainee for the Council, with training you will:
- Deal with correspondence and enquires for example, sending out forms, letters and other documents and write letters and emails and make phone calls as necessary.
- Make decisions about the amount a customer has to pay, entitlement to discounts and any other help we can give to Council Tax and Business Rates payers
- Undertake tasks to promote improved collection as directed. For example, telling taxpayers about direct debit and electronic billing at every opportunity.
- Undertake tasks to identify the correct resident or business as directed. For example, asking them for their tenancy agreements.
- Agree payment plans for Council Tax and Business Rates, monitor these and take any necessary follow up action
Training and Development
In addition to gaining valuable experience whilst completing your work placement and developing many skills that are transferrable to other roles, you will also be supported by our Adult and Community Learning Team to develop your Employability Skills. This will enable you to smoothly transition and find future employment at the end of your Kickstart placement.
This offer is bespoke and tailored to your individual needs, but will comprise of aspects such as:
- Information, advice and guidance
- Help with creating and updating your CV
- Job search skills
- Application forms
- Interview/assessment centre preparation and practice
- Preparing for your next steps after the programme
Working at Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and the ongoing support of your manager and our Kickstart programme team. In addition to a competitive salary and excellent annual leave package, the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Kickstart placement you will have gained valuable workplace experience and developed your transferable skills, which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application, please contact the Youth Employment Team on email email@example.com
For an informal discussion about Kickstart roles at Islington Council please contact, Rebecca Heptinstall on 020 7527 5859 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Sunday 5th December 2021 at 23:59