Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities, and a competitive salary.
The Revenues Administrative Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a 2-year long opportunity to build on your communication skills and team working skills, and apply your ‘can-do’ attitude whilst working towards a level 3 Business Administrator apprenticeship qualification. Following the initial application process, successful applicants will join Islington Council’s Revenues team.
The Revenues team administer and collect council tax, business rates and bid levies. This is achieved through excellent customer service and the delivery of key activities which are designed to meet the needs of our customers. Working as part of a friendly and well respected team, your role will be varied and rewarding.
The Job - Working as a Revenues Administrative Apprentice for the Council you will:
- Play a major role within the Revenues Team responsible for the billing collection and recovery of Council Tax and Business Rates.
- Provide and maintain high standards of customer care whilst performing the role. This will include communicating with tax payers over the telephone and in writing.
- Develop an understanding and working knowledge of legislation surrounding the billing and collection of Council Tax and Business Rates.
- Communicate with and advise people who may have limited knowledge or understanding of revenues.
- Develop strong professional relationships with your own team and with others we work alongside and to whom we provide services.
- Support the team with reviews of awards of discounts, disregards, reliefs and exemptions to maximise revenue due to the Council and identify and reduce incidences of fraud.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
- Complete a level 3 Business Administrator qualification funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement) and will provide both practical and theory-based qualifications;
- Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your time with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Revenues Administrative Pathway is ideal for those who enjoy helping others and are passionate about good customer service.
To apply for this apprenticeship, you must be:
- aged 16 or above and
- unemployed (or working no more than 16 hours)
- and an Islington resident or Islington care leaver or a student at an Islington secondary school student currently or within the last 12 months.
- Not currently be qualified at level 3 in business administration or similar discipline
Closing Date: 27 June 2021
Assessment Day: week commencing 12 July 2021
Apprenticeship Start Date: August 2021
As part of the recruitment process you must also meet the course entry requirements of the apprenticeship and this may result in further assessments undertaken by the training provider.
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application, please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk