Principal Accountant (Schools)
Full Time – Permanent
Redbridge is an ambitious, diverse and exciting east-London borough. What we do is driven by changing our relationship with local people to support our vision. As a result, we've developed innovative ways to build our communities and transform our Council.
We're one of the fastest growing parts of the country and the third most diverse London borough. Our communities are attracted by a mixture of excellent schools, relatively affordable housing, high-quality open space and rapid transport connections into the heart of the City.
Are you a talented Finance professional looking to make your next move? Do you have experience schools finance or working within Local Government Finance? If so, you sound perfect for this role. With one position to be filled, you will be working as a Principal Accountant within the schools finance team, providing advice and support to the Schools as part of the Local Authority.
This role will require you to:
- Keep abreast of developments in local and national finance policy and advise schools of changes and any impact
- Ensure the Dedicated Schools Grant budgets are allocated and monitored in line the grant conditions
- Advise Headteachers, Schools Governors and Schools Finance staff on all financial matters including proposals to enhance day to day service delivery and financial performance
- Develop and enhance schools finance monitoring processes, financial management and control
- Prepare and present reports and other information which analyses and evaluates the financial implications of complex service issues
- Be responsible for monthly budget monitoring and forecasting outturn
- Ensure all grants returns and other returns are completed and submitted on time including S.251 budget and outturn submissions
- Develop, train and manage staff at schools and within the organisation
- Identify and calculate the impact of major financial pressures within school
- Ensure payments to schools are made according to legislation
- Manage the schools communication process and ensure school communication is prompt and correct.
- Ensure the proper closure of school accounts at year end
- Liaise as necessary with internal and external audit and respond to any questions
- Support the school budget setting process and provide necessary support to the Group Accountant in preparing the budget.
- Deputise for and support the Group Accountant as necessary
Finally, you must have good IT skills with excellent knowledge of office applications.
Closing date: 21st April 2021
To apply for this job please visit www.redbridge.gov.uk
Ambitious for Redbridge