Waltham Forest has a challenging, innovative, customer focused digital agenda. We want a skilled and experienced Lead Developer to join our Digital Team to digitise public services into highly effective and accessible online processes. We champion the digitisation of services, adopting a ‘mobile first’ model to give our residents the greatest possible access to council services.
Key skill and experience for the successful candidate are:
- Managing and mentoring a team of developers and apprentice developers, leading the team to create successful solutions utilising the Council’s platforms
- Solutionising business requirements into tangible technical designs, using latest thinking and ensuring consistency of design across the development team
- 50% of role will be designing, creation, development, testing and documenting of new and amended software components
- Aligning development to the Council-wide and directorate initiatives of Waltham Forest, so that we meet the needs of our residents and businesses
- Delivery of a high-quality intuitive user experience, fit for purpose systems, high standards of access, availability, usability, usefulness and excellent standards of service
- Inspires creativity and flexibility in the management of digital applications, specifically those associated with Government such as govService, Capita, Northgate and WhiteSpace
- Thrives using agile methods and enjoy working openly, collaboratively and as part of a multidisciplinary team focused on one or more projects at a time
- Professionally challenges the status quo and have ‘the greater good’ of the council with residents at the heart of everything we do
- Experience of working in local or central government department
As a Lead Developer you will work across a range of digital projects providing your expertise to develop solutions and make key technical decisions. You will set and implement development standards working collaboratively within the digital team and produce high quality processes; code and integrations are delivered in line with service and customer goals; fostering the delivery of projects.
Day-to-day you will solutionise, create and review technical designs, will manage a team of Developers to produce outstanding solutions and developing your own. Working closely with senior members of Digital and ICT on making key recommendations in development strategy, design and technology.
Above all, you want to make Waltham Forest better, which may sometimes involve challenging the status quo.
We offer candidates the opportunity to enjoy rewarding work with a benefits package which includes a salary of up to £70-75k, 28 - 31 days holiday allowance, flexible working arrangements and access to the Local Government Pension Scheme.