Harrow Council has significant ambitions to improve outcomes for residents by addressing issues such as poverty, inequality and climate change while modernising the way the Council operates. Covid-19 has forced a rapid transition towards home working but with a reduction in opportunities to collaborate and some strains on effective working. A planned closure of the Civic Centre in 2021/22 and a move to new premises presents an opportunity to create new ways of working that are more agile and distributed and consolidate on the ways we have worked during Covid-19 restrictions. The Flexible Futures Programme, as part of the Council’s Modernisation Programme, seeks to define and enable those new ways of working.
As part of this journey the programme aims to:
- Support the Council’s officers and members to transition to agile working, working from home effectively and collaborating physically and virtually
- Encourage the adoption of innovative technology to enable officer and members to work digitally and with improved processes
- Develop an agile estate to reflect our ambitions to promote collaborative and agile working, with significant new builds as well as better utilisation of the existing estate
- Exit from the exiting Civic Centre and relocate services across the agile estate
As part of the Flexible Futures Programme we are seeking several roles that can help and support our ambitions.
Harrow Council is the 12th largest London borough by and one of the most culturally diverse local authorities in the UK, making it a great place to live, work and visit. Located 10 miles from the city centre and just 13 minutes to Euston from Harrow & Wealdstone station there are great transport links via the Metropolitan Line, Watford DC Line and national rail service. It is easily accessible to the M1, M25 and A406.
Under a fixed term 2 year contract a project manager is required to deliver the following
- Produce and implement a strategy for engaging with staff and partners to promote, enhance and embed an agile working culture across home working, the Civic Centre (present and future) and other locations. Build resilience, capacity and confidence in the workforce to deliver better services and make Harrow a great place to work.
- Develop and maintain the required project governance documentation including PID, plans, and highlight reporting
- Identify and implement interim measures to support continued agile working during Covid-19
- Working with Change Managers, Transport Networks and Regeneration team understand travel to work needs and develop options to reduce car usage
- Working with the PM Agile Estate, PM Construction Projects and Change Managers develop and implement a strategy and protocols for users to utilise the agile workspaces being created across the Council
- Working with the Communications Manager and Engagement Board develop and implement an engagement and communications plan for agile remote working and the utilisation of the new agile workspaces and technologies
- Working with the Digital Adoption Lead, develop and implement a plan for increasing user adoption and utilisation of the full features of collaboration technologies such as Team, Sharepoint and Yammer
- Working with the PM Digital Adoption develop and implement a plan to change ways of working as users migrate onto paperless and cashless solutions.
- Working the with Director of HR ensure that employment contract changes to facilitate agile working are addressed in the review of Terms and Conditions that is being considered
- Develop proposals for formal decision making taking the proposals through requirements, options/feasibility, consultation and formal decision by Directors and/or Members.
The post holder is expected to have strong PM skills and experience of working with senior stakeholders, transition of services, agile working and service re-locations. Should be able to work across property, technology, change management and delivery with an understanding of logistics, moves and service continuity. Previous evidence of such work is essential.
The role will be remote working based on prevailing Covid-19 guidance, but some site visits may be required due to the nature of the role. They will be supported by one other junior project manager.
The role will be for 2 years on a fixed term contract. The post holder will form part of a corporate pool of Project Managers and will initially be assigned to the Flexible Futures Programme. Should business requirements change during the duration of the fixed term contract the post holder may be assigned to other projects and programmes.
Support for candidates visit: Harrow.gov.uk
Here at Harrow Council, the vision is one of 'Working together to make a difference for Harrow'
Our staff are our greatest asset and therefore no unnecessary conditions or requirements will be applied which could have a disproportionately adverse effect on any one group. All sections of the population will have equal access to jobs. No applicant or employee will receive less favourable treatment because of age, disability, gender, reassignment, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership and pregnancy or maternity unless a Genuine Occupational Qualification applies.
Harrow is committed to making our recruitment practises barrier-free and as accessible as possible to everyone. This includes making adjustments or changes for disabled people or people with long-term health conditions. If you would like us to do anything differently during the recruitment process, or provide any information in an alternative format please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
HARROW REDEPLOYEES WILL BE GIVEN PRIORITY CONSIDERATION
We particularly welcome female applicants, individuals under 25 years of age, those from the BAME community, LGBTQ+ applicants and disabled applicants, as they are under-represented within Harrow Council at this level. Appointment will always, however be made on merit.