St Mary’s Catholic Primary School
Tel: 01708 448430
Diocese of Brentwood
SCHOOL BUSINESS MANAGER
Hours: 30 hours per week/40 weeks per year (The hours and working pattern are negotiable, but will not exceed 30 hours per week)
Scale: PO4 points 35 - 38
Salary: FTE £40,869 - £43,860 p.a. (pro rata based on the above hours: £30,176 - £32,384 p.a.)
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced business manager to work with a new and enthusiastic senior leadership team. It is an excellent opportunity to work in a forward thinking, kind and caring school.
The Business Manager will be an essential member of the Administrative Team and contribute towards the smooth running of the school. Reporting to the Headteacher, the business manager is to be principally responsible for the provision of financial administration support and the accurate and expeditious recording of financial data in accordance with the School’s policies and procedures.
Associated duties include:
- Assisting the Headteacher in the setting of an annual budget at the beginning of each financial year including the creation of annual estimates of income and expenditure for long-term planning.
- Managing, maintaining, reviewing and operating the School’s computerised and manual accounts systems to support expenditure and income in relation to budget. To include orders, commitments, invoices, petty cash, reconciliation, grants, claims, lettings, banking, journals, virements, payroll transactions, returns, contracts, VAT and service level agreements.
- Maintenance of School asset register
- Processing of payroll internally and reconciliation of any differences with the office manager who maintains staff records in SIMS
- Processing of overtime claims
- Keeping analyses of costs and other statistical records.
- Overseeing voluntary fund accounts to include receipts, expenditure, banking, monthly reconciliation and periodic reports to the Headteacher and governors.
- Overseeing school trip accounts to include costing, formal approvals, receipts, income, expenditure, banking, refunds, funding, grants, entitlement and reconciliation.
- Management and reconciliation of the school capital accounts – experience of a voluntary aided school would be an advantage
- Monthly reports to the headteacher and governors relating to budget movements, debtors, creditors and bank balances.
- Ensuring that end of year procedures are implemented in accordance with School and local authority requirements and providing management information to Budget Holders, the Headteacher and governors.
- Providing end of year reports for the Headteacher and governors to include budget summary, expenditure/income comparison and confirmation of carry forward.
- Any other duties requested by the Headteacher as appropriate to the position of school business manager.
- assuming the role of the data protection officer and responsibility for data and information and ensuring the timely completion of information returns required of the school
- Taking responsibility for health, safety, and security including:
- Assisting or Acting as the school fire officer
- Responsibility for health and safety inspections, risk assessments and supporting others to carry out risk assessment
- Responsibility for disaster recovery policy and planning
- Monitoring the quality and specification compliance of the cleaning, catering and grounds maintenance
- Managing the site team
The successful candidate should:
- Educated to GCSE Level (or equivalent) with 5 GCSEs A*-C including English and Maths
- Relevant accounting qualification or finance experience desirable
- SBM qualification (or qualified by experience)
- Experience in using FMS and SIMS
- Experience of voluntary aided schools an advantage
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office Software, e.g. Excel and Word
- Good planning and organisational skills and a flexible approach to managing own work load
- High level of confidentiality and trust
- Good communication skills in a variety of contexts (verbal, email, written) and with people at all levels
Please apply online.
Closing date for applications: Friday 18th Decemeber 2020
St Mary’s is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS Check is required for the successful candidate.