Islington Council offers a wide range of high quality Apprenticeship Pathways that combine working in a great job, comprehensive training and development opportunities, and a competitive salary.
The Electoral Services Apprenticeship Pathway consists of a 21-month long opportunity to build on your administrative and communication skills, and apply your ‘can-do’ attitude whilst working towards a Business Administration qualification. Following the initial application process, successful applicants will join Islington Council’s Electoral Services team where you will give administrative support to the Electoral Registration Officer and Returning Officer.
The team ensures that all residents in Islington are registered to vote and organise all elections in the borough. This is achieved through excellent customer service and the delivery of key activities which are designed to meet the needs of our customers. Working as part of a friendly and well respected team, your role will be varied and rewarding.
The Job - Working as an Electoral Services Apprentice for the Council you will:
- Answer calls and emails from residents
- Assist with incoming post and categorisation of application forms
- Process voter registration forms in our software system
- Work at the centre of the organisation when there are elections
- Develop strong professional relationships with your own team and with others we work alongside and to whom we provide services.
Training and Development – Within your role you will:
- Complete a level 3 Business Administration qualification funded by the Council. This will involve attendance at a college and/or completing tasks in the workplace (depending on specific course requirement) and will provide both practical and theory-based qualifications;
- Join the Apprenticeship Pathway personal and professional development programme that will involve a series of varied development activities and events throughout your year with the Council
Working in Islington Council
We appreciate and value our employees and recognise the importance of a motivated and supported workforce. We will support your development through the activities mentioned above and through the ongoing support of your manager and a mentoring programme. In addition to the competitive salary and excellent annual leave package the organisation offers a wide range of benefits such as; discounted gym memberships and cycle schemes, discounted theatre tickets and local discounts from restaurants and shops.
After you have successfully completed your Apprenticeship Pathway you will have gained valuable workplace experience and attained a professional qualification which will improve your chances of finding work either within the Council or with another employer or help you move on to a higher level apprenticeship elsewhere. You will have networked across the Council and be aware of the internal job market during your time with us and we will provide support on your approach to the wider job market as part of your development programme.
The Electoral Services Pathway is ideal for those who enjoy helping others and are passionate about ensuring residents have access to the democratic system.
To apply for this apprenticeship, you must be:
- aged 16 or above and
- unemployed (or working no more than 16 hours)
- and an Islington resident or Islington care leaver or a student at an Islington secondary school student currently or within the last 12 months.
- Not currently be qualified in business administration at level 3 or above
Closing Date: Tuesday 27th October 2020
Proposed Assessment Day: Friday 6th November 2020
Apprenticeship Start Date: December 2020 subject to pre-employment checks
If you are an Islington resident who would like support with your application please contact the iWork Team on 020 7527 3559 or email iWork@islington.gov.uk