Would you like to be a part of The London Borough of Hounslow, whose diverse workforce are committed to making a positive difference for our residents and visitors by ensuring the quality of our services are maintained to a high standard?
Hounslow is seeking an experienced, dedicated and committed Children’s Home Manager to manage the Local Authority’s Residential Children’s Home, The Ride.
The Ride is a well-established Residential Unit which has developed a highly regarded, responsive and individualised service to young people for whom a family placement is not the right option at present. The Home has an OFSTED rating of “Good” and is very well regarded by managers and staff in Hounslow Children’s Services and other agencies such as the police. It has 6 beds, works well with young people with complex needs and is rarely below full capacity.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing all aspects of the running of a residential Children’s Home and leading and supporting a highly motivated, experienced and stable staff team in continuing to implement current excellent standards of care. The work requires the need to understand and be able to implement legislation, policy and procedure and an ability at times to offer creative solutions. Whilst the work can be demanding it is undoubtedly professionally rewarding.
This is an exciting and challenging opportunity for an enthusiastic and highly motivated leader who has a sound knowledge of children’s residential care. You will already have experience of management within a residential setting, working with amazing young people some of who have complex and diverse needs and demonstrated behaviour that can challenge.
- To ensure that the home is managed effectively, outstanding and inspiring leadership is practiced, and a high standard of care is provided which is compliant with relevant legislation.
- To lead and manage the Home in a way that is consistent with the approach and ethos, and delivers the outcomes, set out in the Home’s Statement of Purpose
- To manage the Home providing a comprehensive range of services to children and young people which is focused on the progress and experiences of each child, assessing needs and incorporating the views of the young people, their families and the network around the child.
- Oversee and ensure the strategic development and implementation of policies and the strategies that support service provision are up to date and relevant, this will include the production of appropriate analyses, policies, strategies, quality standards and care.
Your Skills and knowledge
- Extensive knowledge of practice in a residential setting and the capacity, experience and skills to supervise the management of the Children’s Home to a high standard which meets or exceeds the Quality Standards (Guide to the Children’s Homes Regulations including the quality standards April 2015).
- An ability to demonstrate a sound knowledge and understanding of the key principles of the Children Act, The Children’s Homes Regulations including Quality Standards 2015, and awareness of relevant legislation, guidance and regulations in respect of the Local Authorities’ responsibilities to the management of the Children’s Home and the care, Safeguarding and well-being of children and young people.
- The ability to build relationships and communicate effectively with Young people, parents, staff and other professional colleagues in order to develop holistic and robust care planning.
- The ability to manage your own workload and establish team targets and priorities through the development of a Workforce Development Plan and continuous review of the quality of the care (regulation 45 The Children’s Homes (England) Regulations 2015) provided in the Home.
Essential for The Role
- QCF Level 3 or equivalent is a requirement prior to applying for this role
- The Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management for Residential Childcare (England) or a qualification which is considered to be equivalent to the Level 5 Diploma or a professionally recognised Social Work qualification and the ability to successfully complete the Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management for Residential Childcare (England) within 3 years of the start of the post.
- The post holder will become the Homes ‘Registered Manager’ and as such will be required to satisfy OFSTED that they meet the ‘fitness of manager’ test as set out in Part 3 (Registered persons) of The Children’s Homes (England) Regulations 2015
- There is a requirement to pass an Enhanced DBS check.
This post is considered by the authority to be a customer-facing position; as such it falls within scope of the Code of Practice on English language requirement for public sector workers. The council therefore has a statutory duty under Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016 to ensure that post holders have a command of spoken English sufficient for the effective performance of the job requirements. The appropriate standards are set out in the employee specification.
If you would like an informal conversation regarding the position please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 020 8583 3317
Interviews will be held during week commencing: 20th January 2020.
Closing date: 10thJanuary 2020