London's most easterly Borough, Havering is rich in heritage, with the highest proportion of older people in London as well as a fast-growing younger population.
As well as many towns and villages Havering has a wealth of open space, from the riverside marshes and wildlife habitats in Rainham, to over a hundred parks and open spaces.
Havering is well connected into the Capital by rail and by the District Line and abuts the M25. -Transport links, vibrant shopping centres, open green spaces and good schools makes us a very attractive place to live, with a growing population.
The Environmental maintenance Section is an integral part of the councils Streetcare service.
The Highways tree team are primarily responsible for the maintenance of the Highway tree stock which stands at 20,000 trees, as well as trees in parks and open spaces, and on Housing sites. With an increasingly joined-up approach to working, now is an exciting time to join a large and dynamic Public Realm service area whose other functions include waste collection, street cleansing, grounds maintenance and parks. At the same time, you will enjoy the benefit of working within a small, talented and committed Highways Tree Team that works on clienting a specialised arboricultural contract.
Arboricultural Officer- 1 Year Secondment Opportunity
This is an exciting time to join a strong, supportive team on what is provisionally a 1-year secondment posting.
The successful candidate will be able to assist in coordinating the day to day running of the Tree contract. Tasks will include:
- Developing, preparing and managing tree maintenance programmes;
- Monitoring the work of external contractors and internal service providers to ensure work is completed on time, to the required standard.
- Assisting with the management of the specialist tree maintenance contractor;
- Producing reports, including insurance claims, and providing specialist advice;
The post holder will be expected to work closely with other Public Realm services to ensure a joined-up approach to working.
We are seeking an imaginative and committed individual who will share our ambitions to further improve our service and is able to take on a proactive role while working in collaboration with a broad range of partners to achieve our joint objectives. You will have proven ability in innovative service delivery, with successful experience of working in a busy Arboricultural based service. With your own talents and inter-personal skills you will be able to inspire colleagues to achieve their best.
You will be experienced in an Arboricultural Role and you will be trained in basic tree inspections and hold a chain saw certificate. You will be enthusiastic and able to work on your own initiative. Holding a driving licence is essential.
- Experience of tree management and maintenance programmes;
- Capable of monitoring contractor performance and standards;
- Knowledge of Manual Handling and Health and Safety;
- Experience of working on the public highway and the necessary requirements;
- Knowledge of performance management and performance indicators;
- Able to respond effectively to emergency situations;
- Able to analyse financial information and have sound administrative skills;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good customer care skills.
- Professional Arboricultural Qualification (e.g. Lantra Professional Tree Inspection);
- Recognised chainsaw certification.
Working conditions / circumstances:
- Willing and able to work outside of core hours;
- Ability to work individually or as part of a team;
- Current driving license.
Candidates who declare that they have a disability in accordance with the Equality Act 2010 and meet the essential criteria as specified in the Job Profile will be guaranteed an interview.
Priority consideration on all advertised roles will be given to London Borough of Havering Redeployees.
The London Borough of Havering is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable groups and expects staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Please be aware that a Disclosure and Baring Scheme (DBS) check will be required for any position with access to these groups under the provision of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Applicants must be professionally qualified and hold the relevant qualifications to Supervise/Manage a service unit team.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 1st November 2019. You will be notified if your application has been successful.
For further information about this post, please contact Jacki Ager on 01708 433363.
Should you require any help or advice with your online application, please contact the Recruitment Helpdesk on 01708 432770.