Committee Services Officer
Employer: London Borough of Sutton
- Reference: SUT/17/39126
- Published on: Mon 17/07/2017 15:00 PM
- Closing on: Sun 30/07/2017 23:55 PM
- Working Pattern: Full Time, Temporary
- Hours: 36 hours.
- Salary: £27,801 to £34,338 per annum
- DBS Check: No
- Location: Sutton
Democratic Services Officer
Grade/Salary: Grade 7 / £27,801 to £34,338 per annum
6 Month Fixed fixed term contract or secondment to cover maternity leave. Please note if you are applying for an internal secondment, please check with your line manager before applying.
Start date: September 2017
Be a part of an exciting team delivering at the London Borough of Sutton
This role is ideally suited to a graduate and is being offered as a fixed term 6 month contract or an internal secondment to cover maternity leave. We are looking for a highly motivated individual who is capable of driving change and delivering a high quality service. As part of the committee services team you will be servicing a wide range of Council committee meetings and no two days will be the same!
This is a great opportunity to learn about local government, work with senior officers of the Council and Councillors and can provide a great start to a career in local government or other public sector organisations. Experience of working in a committee services role and knowledge of the committee cycle in a local authority or a similar organisation, would be beneficial but it is not essential. Rather a willingness to learn, develop and approach technology and transformation with confidence are key.
We will help you to develop a good knowledge and understanding of the constitutional and legislative framework of local authority decision making. You will be able to demonstrate excellent customer service, communication skills and embrace taking an innovative approach to service delivery and the use of technology.
As part of the application process, please submit a statement which demonstrates clear and detailed examples of how you meet the role profile and above description, mentioning in particular:
(1) Any experience of using IT in a business environment, including G-Suite and agenda management software.
(2) Any experience of dealing with Councillors, MPs, Senior Officers, and a range of internal and external stakeholders.
(3) Any relevant experience of organising and administering committee meetings in a local government or other political environment.
(4) Your ability to understand, interpret and apply local government legislation and guidance.
Please note that this role requires occasional evening work.
Please contact Fiona Bywaters, Committee Services Team Leader, by email at: or phone 020 8770 5122 for an informal discussion about the role.
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- 27 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Bicycle loan facilities
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Subsidised gym membership
- Local and national discounts for shopping, eating out and leisure activities
- Car parking scheme
Sutton is a short train journey from Clapham Junction and London Victoria (20-30 minutes), and London Bridge (30-50 minutes) and easily accessible from the neighbouring boroughs of Croydon and Merton
Closing Date: Sunday 30 July 2017
Provisional Interview Date: Monday 7 August 2017